Documentary Filmmaking: A Contemporary Field Guideby John Hewitt, Gustavo Vazquez
Pub. Date: 02/05/2009
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Documentary Filmmaking: A Contemporary Field Guide is a skills-oriented, step-by-step portable guide to creating documentary films, from the initial idea phase to postproduction processes and distribution. An indispensable resource on site or in the studio, this compact handbook offers something for all types of students: documentary/em>… See more details below
Documentary Filmmaking: A Contemporary Field Guide is a skills-oriented, step-by-step portable guide to creating documentary films, from the initial idea phase to postproduction processes and distribution. An indispensable resource on site or in the studio, this compact handbook offers something for all types of students: documentary recommendations (for the film buff); illustrations and examples from working documentary makers, producers, editors, and distributors (for the more grounded, visual learner); the latest trends in Internet video and other forms of new media (for the more "techie" documentarian); and even practical financial tips, fundraising ideas, and legal considerations (for the more idealistic--and not always realistic--visionary).
Organized by the chronological structure of documentary film creation, the book opens with ideas, motives, access, and preproduction questions. It then moves on to research, crew considerations, legal issues, production planning, film shoots, and interviewing issues, before wrapping up with postproduction organization, publicity, distribution, and festivals.
Offering a strong focus on practical advice and ethics, Documentary Filmmaking is an ideal text for undergraduate- and graduate-level documentary film courses.
· Step-by-step information for producing documentaries, including many useful checklists
· Detailed hands-on advice and class-tested instructional organization backed by the authors' combined forty years of teaching experience--and by their combined sixty years of independent documentary work
· An up-to-date and careful look at the latest distribution market structure and innovative media for distribution
· Brief structure and compact size that encourages portability
· Unique chapters covering Internet video, the use of music, and publicity and distribution
- Oxford University Press
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.60(d)
Table of Contents
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >