1. The Essence of Drawing.
Definition of Drawing.
Drawing as Conceptualizing.
Drawing as Seeing.
Freedom and Structure.
The Power of Drawing.
The Spirit of Drawing.
2. The Daybook.
Types of Daybooks.
3. The Creative Environment.
The Artistic Community.
The Creative Process.
4. Equipment and Drawing Instruments.
Pen and Ink.
5. Preliminary Drawing Exercises.
Holding the Drawing Instrument.
6. Tone and Texture.
Light, Shade, and Shadow.
Tone and Value.
Basic Solids in Tone.
7. Drawing Techniques for Trees and Plants.
Tree and Plant Massing.
8. Composing the Landscape Drawing.
The Picture Plane.
The Classic Landscape Composition.
9. Freehand Perspective Drawing.
Freehand Landscape Perspective.
Viewpoints and Vanishing Points.
Developing the Gestural Quality of Freehand Perspective.
10. Drawing the Landscape in Plan, Elevation, and Section.
The Landscape Plan.
Frame of Reference.
The Freehand Conceptual Plan.
The Measured Plan.
Ground Plane Treatments.
Ground Plane Textures.
Trees and Vegetation.
Illustrating the Elevation and Section.
11. Axonometric and Isometric Landscape Drawing.
The Exploded View.
Illustrating the Axonometric and Isometric.
Composing the Paraline Drawing.
12. The Figure in the Landscape.
Drawing the Figure.
The Life-Drawing Session.
Drawing the Figure in Gesture.
13. Animating the Landscape: Drawing with Vim, Vigor, and Vitality.
Animating and Embellishing the Wireframe.
The Gesture as a Design Tool.
The Design File.
14. Composing the Final Drawing.
The Competition Drawing.
Experimental Media: A Gallery of Ideas.