- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Barnes & Noble -Think of The Avengers as a weekly TV James Bond: a British secret agent, sexy female partners, bizarre supervillains, and rousing action to save the world. Running from 1961-9, The Avengers was one of the most popular British television programs of all time and retains a devoted audience. In this first set of episodes from 1963, the dangerously alluring Mrs. Catherine Gale Honor Blackman teams up with the dapper and deadly John Steed Patrick Macnee to defeat all manner of conspiracies that threaten Britain, from tax dodgers to deranged bombers. By turns witty, dry, and flirtatious, this duo's adventures remain fresh and exciting more than thirty years later.
- "The Undertakers" - When a brilliant physician retires to a life of seclusion days before an important revelation of his research, Steed and Mrs. Gale are drawn into a dangerous game played by greedy widows and a group of bloodless pallbearers.
- "The Man with Two Shadows" - John Steed's holiday proves to be anything but. Steed must stop an Iron Curtain plot to insert agents deep undercover by turning them into exact duplicates of British officials. Can Steed foil the plot before he is replaced himself? Can Mrs. Gale trust the John Steed with whom she's partnered?
- "The Nutshell" - Someone has infiltrated "The Nutshell," the U.K.'s underground intelligence bunker, and stolen the list of Britain's double agents. When all signs point to Steed as the only culprit, Mrs. Gale must find out what he knows before British security is compromised.
- "Death of a Batman" - When Steed's war chum, a blue-collar draftsman, passes away, his enormous estate leaves many unanswered questions for his widow and their son. Steed and Mrs. Gale tie together the loose strings of a vast insider-trading scheme.
- "November Five" - How are the assassination of a newly elected M.P., the theft of two nuclear warheads, and a wheeler-dealer London public relations firm linked? Mrs. Gale enters the election to find the answer, before it's too late.
- "The Gilded Cage" - Has greed gotten the better of the Avengers? Steed sends Mrs. Gale to lead a group of thieves to a gold reserve worth millions. But will she survive among her ruthless conspirators?