Warming by the Devil's FireDirector: Charles Burnett
Filmmaker Charles Burnett's contribution to the documentary series The Blues: A Musical Journey abandons a strict non-fiction style to tell the tale of a young boy from California spending a few days in Mississippi with his worldly uncle -- a passionate blues fan -- in the summer of 1955, with their adventures serving as a springboard for stories and archival footage of great blues artists. Warming by the Devil's Fire has been transferred to disc in letterboxed format at the widescreen aspect ratio of 1.78:1, and the presentation brings out the warmth and natural color schemes of Burnett's 1955 sequences. The audio is in English with no multiple language options and appears in two mixes: a surround sound version in Dolby Digital 5.1 and a standard two-channel track in uncompressed PCM stereo. Charles Burnett sits for an on-camera interview in which he discusses his film and his own experiences with the blues while growing up; he also provides a brief commentary track and a text biography and discography for the director also appear. Other bonus materials include a bonus performance of Willie Dixon singing " Nervous" (from a German television broadcast in 1966), a menu option that allows users to access individual performances, and the trailer for the series The Blues.
- Release Date:
- Original Release:
Cast & Crew
|Tommy Redmond Hicks||Actor|
|Paul G. Allen||Executive Producer|
|Liba Daniels||Production Designer|
|John Ndiaga Demps||Cinematographer|
|Ulrich Felsberg||Executive Producer|
|Jody Patton||Executive Producer|
|Martin Scorsese||Executive Producer|
|Stephen James Taylor||Score Composer|
1. Series Open and Credits [1:11]
2. Trouble So Hard: Opening Title Sequence [1:21]
3. Memphis Jug Band: "K.C. Moan" [:34]
4. 1956: You're Down Here Now Boy [2:58]
5. New Orleans: Your Roots Run Deep Boy [2:18]
6. Reverend Louis Overstreet & the Eureka Brass Band: "Funeral Procession Dirge" [1:04]
7. You Can't Pick Cotton on the Ocean [3:08]
8. Make Yourself at Home [1:30]
9. Washboard Street Band [:41]
10. First Night at Buddy's: Music in His Dreams [2:41]
11. Son House: "Death Letter Blues" Part One [:35]
12. Son House's Philosophy of Blues [1:04]
13. Son House: "Death Letter Blues" Part Two [:52]
14. This Museum Has an Outhouse [2:53]
15. The Women of the Blues [1:20]
16. Sister Rosetta Tharpe: "Up Above My Head I Hear Music in the Air" [1:39]
17. Mamie Smith, Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Dinah Washington [3:18]
18. Women of the Blues Sampler: Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Dinah Washington [:07]
19. I Learned a Lot About Body Parts [4:05]
20. Times Like This I Didn't Like Buddy Much [:47]
21. Sonny Boy Williamson: "Come On In This House" [:35]
23. Warming by the Devil's Fire [4:07]
24. Sam Chatmon: "Sitting on Top of the World" [3:07]
26. Roots in Africa: Handy and the Language of the Blues [4:58]
27. Joe Turner Blues [1:18]
28. Honey Boy's House: Self Taught Masters [1:45]
29. Masters Perform: Rev. Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker [2:41]
30. Playing the Blues: It's a Serious Thing [:05]
31. Mississippi John Hurt: "Spike Driver Blues" [:49]
32. Back Sliding Into Darkness [:45]
33. The Trails That Lead Us: Time and Time Again [3:12]
34. Lightnin' Hopkins: "Lonesome Road" [1:34]
35. Forced on a Levee and Gandy Dancin' [1:07]
36. The Crossroads: Playin' With Fate and the Devil's Tricks Again [4:18]
37. Bessie Smith: "St. Louis Blues" [3:38]
38. Door to Door: The Elizabeth Cotton Story [1:21]
39. Blues Is the Truth: Everybody Has 'Em [1:04]
40. Willie Dixon: "Nervous" [1:48]
42. Victoria Spivey: "T.B. Blues" [2:35]
43. Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry: "Key to the Highway" [:56]
44. John Lee Hooker: "Boom Boom" [1:18]
45. My Kind of People: Now You Got a Good Reason to Get Saved [1:57]
46. Credits and Montage [4:31]
Play Film W/ Director Commentary
Songs From Film
Play All Songs
Memphis Jug Band: "K.C. Moan"
Reverend Louis Overstreet & the Eureka Brass Band: "Funeral Procession Dirge"
Washboard Street Band
Son House: "Death Letter Blues" Part One
Son House: "Death Letter Blues" Part Two
Sister Rosetta Tharpe: "Up Above My Head I Hear Music in the Air"
Women of the Blues Sampler: Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Dinah Washington
Sonny Boy Williamson: "Come On In This House"
Sam Chatmon: "Sitting on Top of the World"
The Masters Sampler: Rev. Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker
Mississippi John Hurt: "Spike Driver Blues"
Lightnin' Hopkins: "Lonesome Road"
Bessie Smith: "St. Louis Blues"
Willie Dixon: "Nervous"
Victoria Spivey: "T.B. Blues"
Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry: "Key to the Highway"
John Lee Hooker: "Boom Boom"
5.1 Surround Sound
Bonus Segment - "Nervous," Willie Dixon
The Blues Trailer
Volkswagen Commercial: Proud Sponsor of The Blues
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >