E-Data: Turning Data into Information with Data Warehousingby Jill Dyche
Over the last ten years the strategic use of detailed data has changed the face of business. This change was made possible through the use of data warehouses, which are now widely accepted for their role in the delivery of decision-support and business-intelligence applications. Today's data warehouses are the critical/blockquote>
Martha Rogers, Ph.D.
Over the last ten years the strategic use of detailed data has changed the face of business. This change was made possible through the use of data warehouses, which are now widely accepted for their role in the delivery of decision-support and business-intelligence applications. Today's data warehouses are the critical hubs of such burgeoning strategic initiatives as e-commerce, knowledge management, database marketing, and customer relationship management. Given this, a working knowledge of the fundamentals of data warehousing is essential for today's executives, managers, and other professionals who must maximize the power of data warehousing in both existing business contexts and future strategic initiatives.
Written especially for these business professionals, e-Data: Turning Data into Information with Data Warehousing covers data warehousing and its surrounding technologies in a straightforward and engaging way, illustrating how companies are leveraging their data warehouses to serve a wide range of business needs. This book clearly lays out what business people should know about data warehouse implementation and the best techniques for evaluating and justifying new data warehouses and data marts. This book provides:
- Definitions of key data warehousing terms
- Descriptions of emerging database marketing applications that mandate detailed data
- A primer on data warehouse technologies, as well as a clear taxonomy of different analysis types
- Staffing and hiring tips for data warehouse development teams
- A review of the diverse uses of business intelligence acrossvarious industries
- Key questions to ask your vendors and consultants
- A fresh perspective on the politics involved with data warehouses
- Checklists and success metrics for evaluating data warehouse effectiveness
- Coming trends in the use of e-data in business
Inspirational real-world case studies and staff profiles appear throughout, showcasing data warehousing's "vanguards"companies that have succeeded in achieving long-term financial and strategic benefits. Included are Bank of America, Charles Schwab & Co., Qantas Airways, GTE, Royal Bank of Canada, Sears, and Twentieth Century Fox.
e-Data provides invaluable information about data warehousing as a whole, its development and strategic value, the technologies that support it, and its effect on corporate decision makinginformation that will enable you to turn a gold mine of raw data into valuable information, position your company for market leadership, and enhance customer satisfaction.
- Addison Wesley Professional
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >