A NAPPA Gold Winner in the 2009 National Parenting Publications Awards
Finalist in the 2008 ForeWord Book of the Year Awards!
Gold Award Winner in the 2009 Independent Publisher Book Award!
Leave behind confusing textbooks and unreliable websites. This book will guide you through your child’s early years by providing sound advice based on over twenty years of experience. In an easy-to-read, question-answer format, Dr. Jim explains what makes your child tick, how to get the most out of early intervention services, and how to choose the most effective treatment options. Helpful features include:
- 10 Common Myths about Children with ASD
- 7 Effective Teaching Strategies
- 10 Behavior Rules to Live By
- Must-have EI Goals and Objectives for Children with ASD.
In a special how-to section in the book, Dr. Jim walks you through a typical day in the life of a young child with autism, from the time the child wakes up to the time he goes to bed. You will learn what to do (and not do), what to say (and not say), and how to use the strategies outlined in the book to teach your child new skills, manage behavior, and have fun while learning! No matter what your level of “autism expertise,” this is your game plan to start working with your child RIGHT AWAY!
Helpful chapters include:
- A Real-life Look at the Autism Spectrum
- Family Issues: The Personal Side of Autism
- What is Early Intervention?
- Building Your Dream Team
- Assessment: A Picture of Your Child’s Strengths and Challenges
- Blueprint for a Perfect Program
- Options, Options, Options! Choosing the Right Intervention Model for the ASD Child
- From Good to Bad to Meltdown: Understanding Your Child’s Behavior Challenges
- Little Kids, Big Issues: Sleeping, Eating, Toilet Training & Independence
- The Next Step: Transitioning from Early Intervention to Public School Programs