Earth Sciences and Archaeology / Edition 1by Paul Goldberg
Pub. Date: 01/31/2001
Publisher: Springer US
This volume brings together contributions from an experienced group of archaeologists and geologists whose common objective is to present thorough and current reviews of the diverse ways in which methods from the earth sciences can contribute to archaeological research. Many areas of research are addressed here, including artifact analysis and sourcing, landscape… See more details below
This volume brings together contributions from an experienced group of archaeologists and geologists whose common objective is to present thorough and current reviews of the diverse ways in which methods from the earth sciences can contribute to archaeological research. Many areas of research are addressed here, including artifact analysis and sourcing, landscape reconstruction and site formation analysis, soil micromorphology and geophysical exploration of buried sites.
- Springer US
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.01(w) x 10.00(h) x 0.39(d)
Table of ContentsPreface; P. Goldberg, et al.
1. Quaternary Geoscience in Archaeology; T. Holliday.
2. A Review of Site Formation Processes and Their Relevance to Geoarchaeology; J.K. Stein.
3. Evaluating Causality if Landscape Change: Examples from Alluviation; C. Frederick.
4. Geoarchaeology in Alluvial Landscapes; C.R. Ferring.
5. A Geomorphological Approach to Reconstructing Archaeological Settlement Patterns Based on Surficial Artifact Distribution: Re-placing Humans on the Landscape; L. Wells.
6. Archaeoseismology: Shaking Out the History of Humans and Earthquakes; J.S. Noller.
7. Use and Analysis of Soils by Archaeologists and Geoscientists: A North American Perspective; R.D. Mandel, E.A. Bettis.
8. Micro-facies Analysis Assisting Archaeological Stratigraphy; M.-A. Courty.
9. The Soil Micromorphologist as Team Player: A Multianalytical Approach to the Study of European Microstratigraphy; R. Macphail, J. Cruise.
10. Buried Artifacts in Sandy Soils: Techniques for Evaluating Pedoturbation versus Sedimentation; D. Leigh.
11. The Role of Petrography in the Study of Archaeological Ceramics; J.B. Stoltman.
12. Microartifacts; S.C. Sherwood.
13. Current Practices In Archaeogeophysics: Magnetics, Resistivity, Conductivity, and Ground Penetrating Radar; K.L. Kvamme.
14. Beyond C14 Dating: A User's Guide to Long-range Dating Methods in Archaeology; W.J. Rink.
15. Stable Carbon and Oxygen Isotopes in Soils: Applications for Archaeological Research; L.C. Nordt.
16. Sourcing Lithic Artifacts by Instrumental Analyses; N. Herz.
17. A Personal View of Earth Sciences Contribution to Archaeology; O. Bar-Yosef.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >