Earth's Energy Sources

Earth's Energy Sources

by Sally Morgan
     
 

World Economy Explained outlines the background of the economic problems that have shaken the world in recent years. It describes how our global economic system has evolved and how it operates today. The series also explains some of the causes and effects of the financial problems that many people and countries are currently facing.

Money and Credit looks at the

See more details below

Overview

World Economy Explained outlines the background of the economic problems that have shaken the world in recent years. It describes how our global economic system has evolved and how it operates today. The series also explains some of the causes and effects of the financial problems that many people and countries are currently facing.

Money and Credit looks at the way money developed from its earliest forms to become a vital element in personal and business life around the world. It outlines the role of credit today and highlights some of the problems that arise when easy credit is widely available. It also looks at the way government decisions about monetary policy and the interest rates set by the banks affect people's everyday lives. Quoting many firsthand accounts, it encourages readers to form their own views about world economic issues.

Editorial Reviews

Children's Literature - Christine Nicodemus
Which is a more efficient use of energy: Riding a bicycle or driving a car? According to this book in the "Earth's Cycles" series, the bicycle is a much more efficient machine. When someone rides a bike, 95% of the cyclist's energy is being put to use, while in a car only 30% of the energy is being used. The remaining 70% is converted into heat energy and wasted, escaping through the vehicle's exhaust system instead of being used to propel the automobile. These specifics are only a sampling of the material included in this book. After beginning her text with a definition of energy, Morgan spends time defining and discussing a wide variety of energy sources including energy from food, fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas), renewable energy (sun, wind, water), and biofuels (charcoal, bamboo, biodiesel). Also included is a discussion of the pros and cons of each energy source, the reasons sustainable energy may be becoming more popular, and what readers can do to help save energy. Each chapter lays its information out clearly, using large font for the main text, subheadings to help organize information, bolded words that are defined in a two-page glossary, and pictures and examples to help illustrate concepts, which makes the sometimes difficult-to-process concept of energy easily accessible for readers at any level. The book would be a good initial source for students who are writing papers or planning for a debate on the current controversies surrounding energy. Reviewer: Christine Nicodemus

Product Details

ISBN-13:
9781599205229
Publisher:
Black Rabbit Books
Publication date:
08/01/2011
Series:
Earth Cycles Series
Pages:
32
Product dimensions:
8.30(w) x 10.60(h) x 0.30(d)
Age Range:
8 - 11 Years

Meet the Author

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Write a Review

and post it to your social network

     

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews >