- Longman Publishing Group
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- 3rd ed
- Product dimensions:
- 8.31(w) x 10.93(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
1. Prewriting and the Writing Process.
2. Special Concerns: Becoming Concrete and Specific and Establishing Point of View.
3. Description and Narration.
4. Special Concerns: Considering Diction and Addressing Audiences.
5. Exposition: Writing Definitions and Comparisons/Contrast Essays.
6. Special Concerns: Problems of Logic and Paragraph Organization.
7. Persuasion: Writing Cause and Effect Essays and Documented Arguments.
SECTION Ii: SENTENCE COMBINING AND EDITING SKILLS.
8. Introduction to Sentence Structure.
Unit 1: Basic Clause Patterns.
Unit 2: Taking a Closer Look at Subjects.
Unit 3: Taking a Closer Look at Predicates.
Unit 4: The Modifiers.
Unit 5: Review Exercises.
9. Strategies for Combining Clauses and Punctuating Sentences.
Unit 1: Compound Sentences.
Unit 2: Complex Sentences.
Unit 3: Making and Punctuating Phrase/Clause Combinations.
Unit 4: Other Useful Comma Rules.
Unit 5: Reviewing Commas.
Unit 6: Using Semicolons.
Unit 7: Using Colons.
Unit 8: Cumulative Review Exercises for the Comma, Semicolon, and Colon.
Unit 9: Using Dashes.
Unit 10: Cumulative Review of the Comma, Semicolon, and Dash.
Unit 11: Miscellaneous Punctuation: Quotation Marks, Hyphens, and Apostrophes.
10. Solving Common Problems in Combining and Punctuating Sentences.
Unit 1: Run-ons and Comma Splices.
Unit 2: Fragments.
Unit 3: Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers.
Unit 4: Problems in Coordination and Parallelism.
Unit 5: Passive Sentences.
11. Solving Problems at the Word Level.
Unit 1:Subject-Verb Agreement.
Unit 2: Consistency of Verb Tense.
Unit 3: Adding -d and -ed Endings.
Unit 4: Forming Plural Nouns.
Unit 5: Pronoun Problems.
Unit 6: Homonyms and Other Easily Confused Word Pairs.
Unit 7: Capitalization.
12. Exercises in Sentence Combining.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >