UNIT 1. How Others See Us and How We See Ourselves
1. Paying Attention to Our Children: Educational Dilemmas for Americans, Patricia Albjerg Graham, Current, May 1998.
2. Restoring the Impulse to Dream: The Right to a Quality Public Education, Bob Chase, Vital Speeches of the Day, October 15, 1997.
3. How to Teach Our Children Well (It Can Be Done), Steve Wulf, Time, October 27, 1997.
4. American Mayhem, David Heim, The Christian Century, June 3-10, 1998.
5. The 30th Annual Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup Poll of the Public's Attitudes toward the Public Schools, Lowell C. Rose and Alec M. Gallup, Phi Delta Kappan, September 1998.
UNIT 2. Rethinking and Changing the Educative Effort
6. New Ways of Education, Chester E. Finn Jr. and Rebecca L. Gau, The Public Interest, Winter 1998.
7. Innovators as Catalysts for Restructuring Schools, W. Robert Houston, The Educational Forum, Spring 1998.