Educational Governance and Administration / Edition 5by Thomas J. Sergiovanni
Pub. Date: 06/25/2003
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
This text takes a problem-solving approach to real issues administrators face, emphasizing school governance and administration. Grounded in a historical perspective, the nature of administration in today's schools environment is examined is examined with a critical eye, providing readers with a realistic view of the promises and pitfalls of professionalism in… See more details below
This text takes a problem-solving approach to real issues administrators face, emphasizing school governance and administration. Grounded in a historical perspective, the nature of administration in today's schools environment is examined is examined with a critical eye, providing readers with a realistic view of the promises and pitfalls of professionalism in administration. This text provides a balanced overview of the development of educational administration, taking into account the roles of teachers, students, principals and superintendents.
New to this Edition
- Addresses current concerns in school leadership such as special education services, political constraints and federal and state standards.
- Focus on the school administrator's role as an instructional leader and leader of leaders (Ch. 8-10) is congruent with current research and best practice. These chapters address how the roles of principals and superintendents have evolved.
- Greater emphasis on school financing issues including vouchers and equity addresses a topic of concern for many leaders.
- Provides the latest standards for preparing superintendents and principals as issued by the Educational Leadership Constituency Council and the National Policy Board for Educational Administration.
- Completely updated and expanded legal treatment highlights the philosophical basis for legal knowledge about schools and emphasizes current decisions and dilemmas.
- Greater emphasis on cultural and diversity perspectives in the development of schools.
- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.24(w) x 9.22(h) x 1.13(d)
Table of Contents
|About the Authors|
|Pt. 1||The Context for Schooling in the United States|
|1||Public Values and School Policy: The Roots of Conflict||1|
|2||Issues Shaping School Policy and Administration||21|
|Pt. 2||Introduction to Educational Administration|
|3||Educational Administration: An Overview||55|
|4||Educational Administration as an Emerging Profession||81|
|5||The Development of Thought in Educational Administration||110|
|6||Administrative Work, Roles, and Tasks||148|
|7||Women in Administration||164|
|Pt. 3||Teachers, Principals, and Superintendents|
|8||Students and Teachers Today||175|
|9||The Principalship Today||191|
|10||The Superintendency Today||211|
|Pt. 4||Introduction to Governance in Education|
|11||Schools as Political Systems||229|
|12||The Local System of Policymaking||245|
|13||The State Level of Policymaking||263|
|14||The Federal Level of Policymaking||280|
|Pt. 5||Legal and Financial Considerations|
|15||The Legal Foundation for Public Education: An Overview||297|
|16||Leading Public Schools: Legal Considerations||323|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >