Effective C++: 85 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designsby Scott Meyers
Pub. Date: 01/28/1999
Scott Meyers is an undisputed guru of C++, best known for his incisive guidelines on effective use of the language. This CD includes the complete text of his Effective C++ and More Effective C++, plus a collection of recent C++ magazine articles. Far more than the sum of Meyers' two books, the CD has over 2000 separate links: within and between the books, among the books and the articles, and from the books and articles to the Internet. Meyers personally selected the magazine articles to complement the material in his books, and they make the CD even more comprehensive and up-to-date.
Navigating the Effective C++ CD is fast and easy, because it takes advantage of powerful new features in the leading web browsers. You never have to dick more than twice to get to the information you want.
The CD offers unprecedented support for linking into the material, so seamlessly integrating the CD with a collection of HTML documents (such as an Intranet) is painless. Also unprecedented is the CD's configurability. Preference options control the size of images, diagrams, and file sizes, resulting in a system that looks good and responds quickly, regardless of your configuration.
Table of Contents
- Shifting from C to C++
- Item 1: Prefer const and inline to #define.
- Item 2: Prefer <iostream> to <stdio.h>.
- Item 5: Use the same form in corresponding uses of new and delete.
- Item 6: Use de1ete on pointer members in destructors.
- Item 7: Be prepared for out-of-memory conditions.
- Item 8: Adhere to convention when writing operator new
- Item 9: Avoid hiding the "normal" form of new.
- Item 10: Write operator delete if you write operator new.
- Item 30: Avoid member functions that return non-const
- Item 31: Never return a reference to a local object or to a
- Item 32: Postpone variable definitions as long as possible.
- Item 33: Use inlining judiciously.
- Item 34: Minimize compilation dependencies between files
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >