Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care / Edition 10by Robert M. Kacmarek
Pub. Date: 04/25/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Designed for optimal student learning for over 40 years, Egan’s Fundamentals of Respiratory Care, 11th Edition provides you with the strong background you need to succeed in the field of respiratory care. Nicknamed "the Bible for respiratory care," it helps you gain a thorough understanding of the role of respiratory therapists, the/b>/sup>
Designed for optimal student learning for over 40 years, Egan’s Fundamentals of Respiratory Care, 11th Edition provides you with the strong background you need to succeed in the field of respiratory care. Nicknamed "the Bible for respiratory care," it helps you gain a thorough understanding of the role of respiratory therapists, the scientific basis for treatment, and clinical applications. Comprehensive chapters correlate to the most up-to-date 2015 NBRC Detailed Content Outline for the TM-CE to successfully prepare you for clinical and credentialing exam success. Always in step with the ever-changing field of respiratory care, this easy-to-read new edition features five new chapters, as well as new information on online charting systems, patient databases, research databases, meaningful use, simulation, and an expanded discussion of the electronic medical record system.
- User-friendly full-color design calls attention to special features to enhance learning.
- Evolve learning resources include PowerPoint slides, Test Bank questions, an English-Spanish glossary, an image collection, a Body Spectrum Anatomy Coloring Book, and student lecture notes that enhance instructors’ teaching and students’ learning.
- Student Workbook reflects the text’s updated content and serves as a practical study guide offering numerous case studies, experiments, and hands-on activities.
- Therapist-Driven Protocols(TDPs) used by RTs in hospitals to assess a patient, initiate care, and evaluate outcomes, are incorporated throughout the text to develop your critical thinking skills and teach the value of following an established protocol.
- Expert authorshipfrom the leading figures in respiratory care ensures that critical content is covered thoroughly and accurately.
- Excerpts of 40 publishedClinical Practice Guidelinesprovide you with important information regarding patient care, indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, and assessment of outcome and monitoring.
- UNIQUE!Egan's trusted reputationas the preeminent fundamental respiratory care textbook for more than 40 years maintains its student focus and comprehensive coverage while keeping in step with the profession.
- Updated contentreflects changes in the industry to ensure it is both current and clinically accurate and prepares you for a career as a respiratory therapist in today’s health care environment.
- UNIQUE!Mini Clinisgive you an opportunity to apply text content to actual patient care through short, critical-thinking case scenarios. Mini Clinis can also be used as a point of focus in class discussion to strengthen students' critical thinking skills.
- UNIQUE!Rules of Thumbhighlight rules, formulas, and key points that are important to clinical practice.
- Bulleted learning objectives aligned with summary checkliststo highlight key content at the beginning and at the end of each chapter, paralleling the three areas tested on the 2015 NBRC Therapist Multiple-Choice Examination: recall, analysis, and application.
- NEW! Five all-new chapters bring you the most current information on the fundamentals of respiratory care research, flexible bronchoscopy, trauma, burns, near drowning, patient ventilator interaction, and extracorporeal life support (ECLS).
- NEW and EXPANDED! The latest information on online charting systems, patient databases, research databases, meaningful use, and simulation, plus an expanded discussion of the electronic medical record system, provides you with the knowledge needed for clinical and examination success.
- NEW! All chapters correlate to the most up-to-date 2015 NBRC Detailed Content Outline for the Therapist Multiple-Choice Examination (TM-CE) so you are prepared to excel on the NBRC credentialing examination.
- NEW! Easy-to-read, updated chapters with new data in respiratory care, a more fluid writing style, and an improved reading level help you better understand difficult concepts.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
Table of ContentsI: Foundations of Respiratory Care
1.History of Respiratory Care
2.Delivering Evidence-Based Respiratory Care
3.Quality, Patient Safety, and Communication, and Recordkeeping
4.Principles of Infection Prevention and Control
5.Ethical and Legal Implications of Practice
6.Physical Principles of Respiratory Care
7.E-Medicine in Respiratory Care
8.NEW! Fundamentals of Respiratory Care Research
II: Applied Anatomy and Physiology
9.The Respiratory System
10.The Cardiovascular System
12.Gas Exchange and Transport
13.Solutions, Body Fluids, and Electrolytes
15.Regulation of Breathing
III: Assessment of Respiratory Disorders
16.Bedside Assessment of the Patient
17.Interpreting Clinical and Laboratory Data
18.Interpreting the Electrocardiogram
19.Analysis and Monitoring of Gas Exchange
20.Pulmonary Function Testing
21.Review of Thoracic Imaging
22.NEW! Flexible Bronchoscopy and the Respiratory Therapist
IV: Review of Cardiopulmonary Disease
25.Obstructive Lung Disease: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Asthma, and Related Diseases
26.Interstitial Lung Disease
28.Pulmonary Vascular Disease
29.Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
30.NEW! Trauma, Burns and Near Drowning
32.Neuromuscular and Other Diseases of the Chest Wall
33.Disorders of Sleep
34.Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Disorders
V: Basic Therapeutics
37.Emergency Cardiovascular Life Support
38.Humidity and Bland Aerosol Therapy
39.Aerosol Drug Therapy
40.Storage and Delivery of Medical Gases
41.Medical Gas Therapy
42.Lung Expansion Therapy
43.Airway Clearance Therapy (ACT)
VI: Acute and Critical Care
44.Respiratory Failure and the Need for Ventilatory Support
46.Physiology of Ventilatory Support
47.NEW! Patient Ventilator Interaction
48.Initiating and Adjusting Invasive Ventilatory Support
50.NEW! Extracorporeal Life Support (ECLS)
51.Monitoring the Patient in the Intensive Care Unit
52.Discontinuing Ventilatory Support
53.Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care
VII: Patient Education and Long-Term Care
54.Patient Education and Health Promotion
56.Respiratory Care in Alternative Settings
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >