Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care / Edition 10by Robert M. Kacmarek
Pub. Date: 04/25/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
A leader in respiratory care education for more than 40 years, Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care, 10th Edition delivers a comprehensive introduction to the field of respiratory care and keeps you up-to-date on the latest advances and trends in professional practice today. With this new edition, you'll gain a thorough understanding of the/b>/sup>… See more details below
A leader in respiratory care education for more than 40 years, Egan's Fundamentals of Respiratory Care, 10th Edition delivers a comprehensive introduction to the field of respiratory care and keeps you up-to-date on the latest advances and trends in professional practice today. With this new edition, you'll gain a thorough understanding of the role of respiratory therapists (RTs), scientific bases for treatment, and clinical applications. In-depth discussions progress from the principles of respiratory care to applied anatomy and physiology, assessment, discussion of specific respiratory illnesses, basic therapy, acute and critical care, and preventive and long-term care. Egan's is the most recommended and trusted text for NBRC examination preparation.
- UNIQUE! Egan's trusted reputation as the preeminent fundamental respiratory care textbook delivers comprehensive coverage while keeping you up to date with this ever-changing profession.
- UNIQUE! Expert authorship from the leading figures in respiratory care ensures critical content is covered thoroughly and accurately.
- UNIQUE! Mini Clinis give you an opportunity to apply text content to actual patient care through short, critical-thinking vignettes.
- UNIQUE! Rules of Thumb highlight rules, formulas, and key points that are important to clinical practice.
- Excerpts of all 49 published Clinical Practice Guidelines provide you with important information regarding indications/contraindications, hazards and complications, assessment of need, and assessment of outcome and monitoring.
- Therapist Driven Protocols (TDPs) used by RTs in hospitals to assess patients, initiate care, and evaluate outcomes, are incorporated throughout the text to demonstrate the value of following an established protocol.
- Learning Objectives highlight key content at the beginning and at the end of each chapter in a bulleted section and parallel the three areas tested on the NBRC exam: recall, analysis, and application.
- Updated content aligned with the 2009 NBRC CRT Summary Content Outline ensures the text is both current and clinically accurate.
- Expanded use of the NBRC Exam Matrix Correlation Chart throughout all Evolve online resources makes test preparation easier.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.88(w) x 10.92(h) x 1.90(d)
Table of Contents
Section I: Foundations of Respiratory Care
1. History of Respiratory Care
2. Quality and Evidence-Based Respiratory Care
3. Patient Safety, Communication, and Recordkeeping
4. Principles of Infection Control
5. Ethical and Legal Implications of Practice
6. Physical Principles of Respiratory Care
7. Computer Applications in Respiratory Care
Section II: Applied Anatomy and Physiology
8. The Respiratory System
9. The Cardiovascular System
11. Gas Exchange and Transport
12. Solutions, Body Fluids, and Electrolytes
13. Acid-Base Balance
14. Regulation of Breathing
Section III: Assessment of the Respiratory Care Patient
15. Bedside Assessment of the Patient
16. Interpretation of Clinical Laboratory Data
17. Interpreting the Electrocardiogram
18. Analysis and Monitoring of Gas Exchange
19. Pulmonary Function Testing
20. A Synopsis of Thoracic Imaging
21. Nutrition Assessment
Section IV: Review of Cardiopulmonary Disease
22. Pulmonary Infections
23. Obstructive Lung Disease: COPD, Asthma, and Related Diseases
24. Interstitial Lung Disease
25. Pleural Diseases
26. Pulmonary Vascular Disease
27. Acute Lung Injury, Pulmonary Edema, and Multiple System Organ Failure
28. Lung Cancer
29. Neuromuscular and Other Diseases of the Chest Wall
30. Disorders of Sleep
31. Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Disorders
Section V: Basic Therapeutics
32. Airway Pharmacology
33. Airway Management
34. Emergency Cardiovascular Life Support
35. Humidity and Bland Aerosol Therapy
36. Aerosol Drug Therapy
37. Storage and Delivery of Medical Gases
38. Medical Gas Therapy
39. Lung Expansion Therapy
40. Bronchial Hygiene Therapy
Section VI: Acute and Critical Care
41. Respiratory Failure and the Need for Ventilatory Support
42. Mechanical Ventilators
43. Physiology of Ventilatory Support
44. Initiating and Adjusting Ventilatory Support
45. Noninvasive Ventilation
46. Monitoring and Management of the Patient in the Intensive Care Unit
47. Discontinuing Ventilatory Support
48. Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care
Section VII: Patient Education and Long-Term Care
49. Patient Education and Health Promotion
50. Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
51. Respiratory Care in Alternative Settings
Appendix: NBRC Exam Matrix Correlation Guide
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >