- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Doody's Review ServiceReviewer: Florin Oprescu, MD, MPH (University of Iowa College of Public Health)
Description: This book addresses two important subjects in healthcare: health disparities and electronic technologies.
Purpose: According to the author, the book is intended to bring together the field of information technology and the field of population health sciences. The objectives are worthy, yet they are only marginally met.
Audience: The intended audience includes public health professionals, healthcare administrators, informaticians, and graduate students. However, it appears to me the audience is primarily researchers in the field of health disparities and electronic health technologies.
Features: Of the 165 pages in this book, 129, or 78 percent, present introductory information (health disparities, the role of the Internet in healthcare and eHealth technologies), with the remaining 36 pages (22 percent) serving directly the stated purpose of the book. The content is logically organized, yet the transition between chapters leaves much room for improvement. Each chapter feels like an independent literature review, with some chapters (6-8) having too little evidence-based support.
Assessment: The book provides a valuable literature review of health disparities in the U.S. and of the role of the Internet and other electronic technologies in healthcare. However, it only marginally accomplishes its stated purpose. More evidence-based support is needed in some chapters and the fourth section that brings everything together could benefit by being expanded with more specific recommendations.