Elementary Algebra, 5th Edition / Edition 5by Ron Larson
This text provides beginning algebra students with a solid understanding of algebra and its utility as a modern modeling language. Careful pacing and clear, readable explanations enhance the presentation of key concepts. These concepts are then illustrated and reinforced by more than 400 well-chosen examples, graded by level of difficulty and labeled by discipline for… See more details below
This text provides beginning algebra students with a solid understanding of algebra and its utility as a modern modeling language. Careful pacing and clear, readable explanations enhance the presentation of key concepts. These concepts are then illustrated and reinforced by more than 400 well-chosen examples, graded by level of difficulty and labeled by discipline for easy reference, and more than 6000 section exercises. Answers to all odd-numbered problems are provided at the end of the text.
- Integrated Review Exercises appear before all section exercise sets for review of skills, definitions, and problem solving from previous chapters.
- Skill-building Exercises provide a broad range of computational, conceptual, and applied problems.
- Chapter Summaries made up of Key Terms and Key Concepts reinforce not only concepts, but the language and main ideas behind them.
- Exercises Keyed to Examples provide students with convenient references back to helpful explanations earlier in the section.
- Section Objectives found at the beginning of sections are repeated at point of use throughout the chapter to promote self-assessment and mastery.
- Clear definitions and key concepts are emphasized in boxes for reinforcement of math vocabulary.
- Review Exercises, keyed by section and divided into two types, Reviewing Skills and Solving Problems, help students better prepare for tests and quizzes and help instructors assign review problems by sections completed.
- Exercises are graded by level of difficulty: Developing Skills, Solving Problems, and Explaining Concepts.
- Motivating the Chapter,real-life, multi-part problems in the chapter opener, provide a clear breakdown of the skills students will master throughout the chapter. The problem's sections are keyed to specific exercises and section sets. Ideal for homework assignments or collaborative projects.
- Applications and Real-data Problems reflect current statistics and information, providing students with a relevant view of how mathematics is used in contemporary society.
- Technology Tips, placed throughout the text at point of use, offer instruction on using technology to visualize concepts, perform computations, and verify solutions.
- Technology Discovery engages students in using technology to explore mathematical concepts and to discover patterns and relationships.
- Discussing the Concept activities provide instructors with flexible options for assigning individual homework, class discussion, or collaborative problems.
Table of Contents
1. THE REAL NUMBER SYSTEM. Real Numbers: Order and Absolute Value. Adding and Subtracting Integers. Multiplying and Dividing Integers. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Operations with Rational Numbers. Exponents, Order of Operations, and Properties of Real Numbers. 2. FUNDAMENTALS OF ALGEBRA. Writing and Evaluating Algebraic Expressions. Simplifying Algebraic Expressions. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Algebra and Problem Solving. Introduction to Equations. 3. LINEAR EQUATIONS AND PROBLEM SOLVING. Solving Linear Equations. Equations that Reduce to Linear Form. Problem Solving with Percents. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Ratios and Proportions. Geometric and Scientific Applications. Linear Inequalities. 4. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES. Ordered Pairs and Graphs. Graphs of Equations in Two Variables. Slope and Graphs of Linear Equations. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Equations of Lines. Graphs of Linear Inequalities. 5. EXPONENTS AND POLYNOMIALS. Negative Exponents and Scientific Notation. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Multiplying Polynomials: Special Products. Dividing Polynomials. 6. FACTORING AND SOLVING EQUATIONS. Factoring Polynomials with Common Factors. Factoring Trinomials. More About Factoring Trinomials. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Factoring Polynomials with Special Forms. Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring. 7. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND EQUATIONS. Simplifying Rational Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Complex Fractions. Rational Equations and Applications. 8. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES. Solving Systems of Equations by Graphing. Solving Systems of Equations by Substitution. Solving Systems of Equations by Elimination. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Applications of Systems of Linear Equations. Systems of Linear Inequalities. 9. RADICAL EXPRESSIONS AND EQUATIONS. Roots and Radicals. Simplifying Radicals. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Operations with Radical Expressions. Radical Equations and Applications. 10. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS AND FUNCTIONS. Solution by the Square Root Property. Solution by Completing the Square. Solution by the Quadratic Formula. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Graphing Quadratic Equations. Applications of Quadratic Equations. Complex Numbers. Relations, Functions, and Graphs. APPENDICES. Appendix A: Introduction to Graphing Calculators. Appendix B: Further Concepts in Geometry (Web). Appendix C: Further Concepts in Statistics (Web). ANSWERS TO ODD-NUMBERED EXERCISES, QUIZZES, AND TESTS. INDEX OF APPLICATIONS. INDEX.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >