Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey / Edition 2by Bill T. Arnold, Bryan E. Beyer
Pub. Date: 05/01/2008
Publisher: Baker Publishing Group
Finally, there is a college-level survey of Old Testament content that is as engaging and user-friendly as it is informative. Encountering the Old Testament is a survey unlike other surveys. In addition to first-rate scholarship, this textbook boasts full-color photographs, sidebars containing supplemental information, chapter summaries, study questions, an instructor's manual and many other helpful features.
Also included with the book is an interactive CD-ROM (both Mac- and Windows-compatible) that features interactive review questions, supplemental information, photos and video clips of Bible lands, a glossary of key terms from the text, and video interviews with the authors concerning various topics. The CD is designed for students to use outside the classroom in order to reinforce the content of the textbook.
This textbook is part of the Encountering Biblical Studies series.
Table of Contents
To the Professor
To the Student
1. What Is the Old Testament and Why Study It?
2. Where and When Did the Events of the Old Testament Take Place?
Part 1: Encountering the Pentateuch
3. Introduction to the Pentateuch: The Birth of God's People
4. Genesis 1-11: The Prelude to Israel
5. Genesis 12-50: The Patriarchs: Ancestors of Israel's Faith
6. Exodus: A Miraculous Escape
7. Leviticus: Instructions for Holy Living
8. Numbers: Failure in the Desert
9. Deuteronomy: Restoring the Covenant
Part 2: Encountering the Historical Books
10. Introduction to the Historical Books: The History of Israel's Nationhood
11. Joshua: Conquest and Division
12. Judges and Ruth: Israel's Moral Crisis
13. 1 Samuel: God Grants a King
14. 2 Samuel: David's Reign
15. 1 Kings: The Glory of Solomon and the Beginning of the End
16. 2 Kings: The End of National Israel
17. 1 & 2 Chronicles: A Look Back
18. Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther: A Time to Rebuild
Part 3: Encountering the Poetical Books
19. Introduction to the Poetical Books: The Literature of God's People
20. Job: One Man's Search for Justice
21. Psalms: The Songbook of Ancient Israel
22. Proverbs: Advice on Living in God's World
23. Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs: Israelite Faith in Everyday Life
Part 4: Encountering the Prophets
24. Introduction to the Prophets: Voices of God's Servants
25. Isaiah 1-39: Prophet of Judah's Royal Court
26. Isaiah 40-66: Great Days Are Coming!
27. Jeremiah 1-20: Struggling with God's Call
28. Jeremiah 21-52 and Lamentations: Dealing with Disaster
29. Ezekiel 1-24: Rough Days Are Coming!
30. Ezekiel 25-48: God's Planning an Exciting Future!
31. Daniel: The Kingdom of GodNow and Forever
32. Hosea, Joel, and Amos: A Call for Repentance and a Promise for Blessing
33. Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah: God's Plan for the Nations
34. Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi: Rebuilding a People
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >