How engaged are your students? Making some simple adjustments in the classroom environment could be the key to increasing children's levels of active engagement and preventing behavior problems caused by restlessness and boredom during transitions between activities. This extremely practical, accessible book offers a strong, evidence-based approach to promoting engagement in preschoolers. Readers will find detailed, concrete strategies—field tested in more than 30 preschools—to help them
- reduce wasted time and misbehavior during down time and transitioning from one thing to another
- make the most of natural learning opportunities and encourage developmental goals
- maximize classroom efficiency and engagement with included diagrams of classroom set-up suggestions
- assess child functioning in daily routines to ensure progress
- write functional classroom goals with tips and problem-solving suggestions for implementing interventions
- integrate therapy into classroom routines so teachers and therapists can learn from each other
This much-needed book has a highly structured format that teachers can easily follow to create an optimal learning environment and foster goal-oriented behavior in any preschool classroom—with or without children with special needs. Each user-friendly section serves up key points, examples of real-world situations, discussion questions, and room for writing down notes and ideas. Engagement of Every Child in the Preschool Classroom gives early childhood educators the tools and know-how for successfully launching lifelong learners.
See which domain of school readiness in the Head Start Child Development and Early Learning Outcomes Framework this book addresses.