- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: McKeesport, PA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
New to the Second Edition:
* Includes updated graduation and salary statistics and MATLAB materials
* Offers additional problems for most chapters
* Provides improved, integrated Design and Problem-Solving chapters and a revised Communications chapter
Engineering Your Future has been developed with the following goals and objectives:
* To introduce students to the broad spectrum of the engineering profession.
* To encourage students to explore the challenges, problems, issues, and functions of the various engineering fields.
* To provide students with a perspective of the necessary written and oral communication skills used by engineers.
* To introduce students to the professional character and ethical responsibility of engineers.
* To provide students with an awareness of historic engineering developments and their impact on society.
* To introduce students to the global scope of the present-day engineering community.
* To present problem solving skills that will aid in the success of students in the classroom.
* To assist students in applying common computer software, useful in their studies.
* To introduce students to a design methodology for use in subsequent design courses.
* To provide students with the latest statistics relative to the engineering community.
The text contains examples within each chapter and assignments afterwards. The assignments include a collection of numerical, writing, and hands-on exercises. The goal is to encourage students to become familiar with the material being presented and, in some cases, to do further exploration.
There are four versions of Engineering Your Future in the series to meet a wide variety of course needs: Problem-Oriented, Short Course, Comprehensive, and A Brief Student's Guide.
1. Engineering Majors
1.2 Engineering Functions
1.3 Engineering Majors
1.4 Closing Thoughts Exercises and Activities
2. Profiles of Engineers
3. A Statistical Profile of the Profession
3.1 Statistical Overview
3.2 College Enrollment Trends
3.3 College Majors of Recent
3.4 Degrees in Engineering
3.5 Job Placement Trends
3.6 Salaries of Engineers
3.7 The Diversity of the Profession
3.8 Distribution of Engineers
3.9 Engineering Employment
3.10 Percent of Students Unemployed or in Grad School
3.11 A Word from Employers Exercises and Activities
4. Problem Solving
4.2 Analytic and Creative Problem Solving
4.3 The Analytic Method
4.4 The Creative Method
4.5 Personal Problem Solving Styles
4.6 Brainstorming Strategies
4.8 Conservative Assumptions Exercises and Activities
5. Visualization and Graphics
5.1 Why Study Visualization and Graphics?
5.3 Sketching Technique
5.4 Visualizing 3-Dimensional Space
5.5 Geometric Transformations
5.6 Measurement Scales
5.7 Graphical Communication
5.8 Oblique Pictorials
5.9 Orthographic Multiview Sketches
5.10 Isometric Pictorials
5.11 Chapter Summary Exercises
6. Computer Tools for Engineers
6.2 The Internet
6.3 Word Processing Programs
6.5 Mathematics Software
6.6 Presentation Software
6.7 Operating Systems
6.8 Programming Languages
6.9 Advanced Engineering Packages Exercises and Activities
7. Teamwork Skills
7.2 What Makes a Successful Team?
7.3 Growth Stages of a Team
7.4 Team Leadership
7.5 How Effective Teams Work
7.6 The Character of a Leader
7.7 Team Grading References Exercises and Activities
8. Engineering Design
8.1 What Is Engineering Design?
8.2 The Design Process
8.3 A Case Study Exercises and Activities
9. Technical Communications
9.3 Technical Communication
9.6 Formal Reports Exercises and Activities
10. The Ethics of Engineering
10.2 The Nature of Ethics
10.3 The Nature of Engineering Ethics
10.4 The Issues and Topics of Engineering Ethics
10.5 Engineering Ethics and Legal Issues Exercises
11. Units and Conversions
11.2 The SI System of Units
11.3 Derived Units
11.6 Conversions Exercises
12. Mathematics Review
12.4 Complex Numbers
12.5 Linear Algebra
12.6 Calculus Exercises
13. Engineering Fundamentals
13.4 Electrical Circuits
13.5 Engineering Economics Appendix A: Introductory CADKEY97 Tutorial Appendix B: An Introduction to MATLAB Index