Table of Contents.
Introduction to the Third Edition: Edward Chaney.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. The Beginnings of Interest: mid-Sixteenth to mid-Seventeenth Centuries.
2. From Description to Speculation: mid-Seventeenth to Late Eighteenth centuries.
3. Taste for Italian Paintings: I Sixteenth to Late Eighteenth Centuries.
4. The Medici and William Roscoe: Late Eighteenth to Early Nineteenth Centuries.
5. Taste for Italian Paintings: II Late Eighteenth to Early Nineteenth Centuries.
6. Prejudice and the Term Renaissance: Early to mid-Nineteenth Century.
7. Taste for Italian Paintings: III Early Nineteenth Century to Ruskin.
8. John Addington Symonds.