- Legend, for viola & piano - Arnold Bax - Michael Hampton - Matthew Jones
- Intermezzo, for piano, F. 139 - Arthur Bliss - Michael Hampton - Matthew Jones
- Romance for viola & piano - Ralph Vaughan Williams - Michael Hampton - Matthew Jones
- Sonata for viola & piano - Rebecca Clarke - Michael Hampton - Matthew Jones
- Pieces (2) for violin & piano - William Walton - Michael Hampton - Matthew Jones
- Release Date:
Performance CreditsMatthew Jones Primary Artist
Write a Review
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
English Music for Viola based on 0 ratings. 1 reviews.
Considering there is already a viola recording out there by the same title by Paul Coletti, I wasn't sure what to think of this upon first seeing it. However, most violists know that a great berth of music was produced for us by the English, so it's fitting that we now have something of a 'sequel' to Coletti's recording with Jones' release. We And it's a fine sequel! I love Jones' interpretation of the Clarke, which is probably the most recording piece on the album. He plays with a lovely, deep tone and lovely phrasing throughout. Michael Hampton also does a superb job on the piano, working together beautifully with Jones and matching his musicality. There are also several world premiere recordings of transcriptions, all of which work wonderfully on the viola. I'm particularly fond of the Bridge, but they are all fine peformances that would serve well as reference recordings for any students that are looking to perform some of these little-known works.