English Simplified / Edition 11by Blanche Ellsworth, John A. Higgins
Pub. Date: 03/22/2006
English Simplified, 11/e - at only 72 pages - is a concise, inexpensive grammar handbook that continues to provide comprehensive coverage of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, spelling, word choice, and includes tips for ESL writers. The book also offers easy-to-read tables that clarify verb tenses and forms, the latest updates on documentation style, and material on… See more details below
English Simplified, 11/e - at only 72 pages - is a concise, inexpensive grammar handbook that continues to provide comprehensive coverage of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, spelling, word choice, and includes tips for ESL writers. The book also offers easy-to-read tables that clarify verb tenses and forms, the latest updates on documentation style, and material on note-taking, source evaluation, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.48(w) x 10.94(h) x 0.17(d)
Table of Contents
SECTIONS 1-27: SENTENCES AND GRAMMAR.
1-3. The Sentence and Its Parts.
1. The Two Parts of a Sentence.
2. The Sentence Pattern.
3. Ways of Classifying Sentences.
4-9. The Parts of Speech: A Survey.
4. Words That Name.
5. Words That Express Doing or Being: Verbs.
6. Words That Modify.
7. Words That Connect.
8. Words that Express Emotion: Interjections.
9. Words as More Than One Part of Speech.
10-14. Using Nouns.
10. The Kinds of Nouns.
11. The Main Uses of Nouns.
12-15. Using Verbs.
12. Identifying the Verb.
13. The Kinds of Verbs.
14. Using Verbs Correctly.
15. Avoiding Verb Errors.
16-17. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
16. Using Adjectives and Adverbs Correctly.
17. Avoiding Adjective and Adverb Errors.
18-20. Using Pronouns.
18. The Kinds of Pronouns.
19. Using the Right Case.
20. Avoiding Faulty References.
21-22. Recognizing Phrases and Clauses.
23. Subject-Verb Agreement.
24. Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement.
25-27. Effective Sentences.
25. Creating Effective Sentences.
26. Conquering the "Big Three" Sentence Errors.
27. Avoiding other Sentence Faults.
SECTION 30-56: PUNCTUATION
30-32. The Comma , .
33-34. The Period . .
35-36. The Question Mark ? .
37-38. The Exclamation Point ! .
39. The Semicolon ; .
40-41. The Apostrophe ' .
43. Italics (Underlining).
44-48. Quotation Marks " " .
49-50. The Colon : .
51. The Dash .
52-53. Parentheses ( ).
55. The Hyphen - .
56. The Slash (Virgule) / .
SECTIONS 60-74: MECHANICS AND SPELLING.
60. Manuscript Form.
SECTIONS 80-83: WORD CHOICE.
80. Be Concise, Clear, and Original.
81. Maintain the Appropriate Language Level.
82. Use Nondiscriminatory Words.
83. Distinguish Between Similar Words.
SECTIONS 90-96: PARAGRAPHS
90. Paragraph Form and Length.
91 Paragraph Content.
92. Before Starting to Write
93. Writing and Revising the Essay.
94-96. Research Papers
94. Planning and Writing
95. Documenting Your Sources.
96. Setting Up the Pages.
Quick Locator Chart
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >