English Simplified / Edition 9by Blanche Ellsworth, John A. Higgens, John A. Higgins
Pub. Date: 05/23/2000
Publisher: Pearson Education
This handbook covers almost every major writing problem. At 64 pages it's a concise and inexpensive way for readers to improve their writing. The Ninth Edition covers the essentials of paragraph and essay writing, ESL tips and material on research writing, as well as an extended section on the three most common errors in English: fragments, run-ons and comma… See more details below
This handbook covers almost every major writing problem. At 64 pages it's a concise and inexpensive way for readers to improve their writing. The Ninth Edition covers the essentials of paragraph and essay writing, ESL tips and material on research writing, as well as an extended section on the three most common errors in English: fragments, run-ons and comma splices. The book also includes enhanced coverage on electronic research on the Internet and a revised section on word choice. For anyone interested in learning about English and in improving his or her writing.
- Pearson Education
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 11.00(h) x 0.25(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of Contents
SECTIONS 1-27: SENTENCES AND GRAMMAR.
1-3. The Sentence and Its Parts.
1. The Two Parts of a Sentence.
2. The Sentence Pattern.
3. Ways of Classifying Sentences.
4-9. The Parts of Speech: A Survey.
4. Words That Name.
5. Words That Express Doing or Being: Verbs.
6. Words That Modify.
7. Words That Connect.
8. Words that Express Emotion: Interjections.
9. Words as More Than One Part of Speech.
10-14. Using Nouns.
10. The Kinds of Nouns.
11. The Main Uses of Nouns.
12-15. Using Verbs.
12. Identifying the Verb.
13. The Kinds of Verbs.
14. Using Verbs Correctly.
15. Avoiding Verb Errors.
16-17. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
16. Using Adjectives and Adverbs Correctly.
17. Avoiding Adjective and Adverb Errors.
18-20. Using Pronouns.
18. The Kinds of Pronouns.
19. Using the Right Case.
20. Avoiding Faulty References.
21-22. Recognizing Phrases and Clauses.
23. Subject-Verb Agreement.
24. Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement.
25-27. Effective Sentences.
25. Creating Effective Sentences.
26. Conquering the "Big Three" Sentence Errors.
27. Avoiding other Sentence Faults.
SECTION 30-56: PUNCTUATION
30-32. The Comma , .
33-34. The Period . .
35-36. The Question Mark ? .
37-38. The Exclamation Point ! .
39. The Semicolon ; .
40-41. The Apostrophe ' .
43. Italics (Underlining).
44-48. Quotation Marks " " .
49-50. The Colon : .
51. The Dash .
52-53. Parentheses ( ).
55. The Hyphen - .
56. The Slash (Virgule) / .
SECTIONS 60-74: MECHANICS AND SPELLING.
60. Manuscript Form.
SECTIONS 80-83: WORD CHOICE.
80. Be Concise, Clear, and Original.
81. Maintain the Appropriate Language Level.
82. Use Nondiscriminatory Words.
83. Distinguish Between Similar Words.
SECTIONS 90-96: PARAGRAPHS
90. Paragraph Form and Length.
91 Paragraph Content.
92. Before Starting to Write
93. Writing and Revising the Essay.
94-96. Research Papers
94. Planning and Writing
95. Documenting Your Sources.
96. Setting Up the Pages.
Quick Locator Chart
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >