- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Covering the enormous environmental challenges facing our world today, the new fifth edition of The Environment helps readers think critically about these issues and understand the concepts that underlie environmental problems. Rather than telling readers what to think, the book provides the information and tools they need to reach their own conclusions. It offers solid scientific content balanced with effective and current examples of problems and solutions.
* Introduces the reader to ecosystems, the physical environment, and Earth's biomes.
* Examines the problems of overpopulation as well as environmental concerns such as air pollution and the pesticide dilemma.
* Presents real-life case studies that offer in-depth analyses of actual situations.
* Includes 'You Can Make a Difference' boxes in each chapter to help readers take an active role in improving the environment.
* Offers additional information on a website devoted to further examining critical environmental issues that will help readers make environmentally responsible choices.
A series of essays analyzing questions or dilemmas relating to social issues.
1. Introducing Environmental Science and Sustainability.
2. Environmental Laws, Economics, and Ethics.
PART TWO: THE WORLD WE LIVE IN.
3. Ecosystems and Energy.
4. Ecosystems and Living Organisms.
5. Ecosystem and the Physical Environment.
6. Major Ecosystems of the World.
7. Human Health and Environmental Toxicology.
PART THREE: A CROWDED WORLD.
8. Population Change.
9. The Problems of Overpopulation. 10. the Urban World.
PART FOUR: THE SEARCH FOR ENERGY.
11. Fossil Fuels.
12. Nuclear Energy.
13. Renewable Energy and Conservation.
PART FIVE: OUR PRECIOUS RESOURCES.
14. Water: A Limited Resource.
15. Soil Resources.
16. Minerals: A Nonrenewable Resource.
17. Preserving Earth's Biological Diversity.
18. Land Resources.
19. Food Resources: A Challenge for Agriculture.
PART SIX: ENVIRONMENTAL CONCERNS.
20. Air Pollution.
21. Regional and Global Atmospheric Changes.
22. Water Pollution.
23. The Pesticide Dilemma.
24. Solid and Hazardous Wastes.
PART SEVEN: TOMORROW'S WORLD.
25. Tomorrow's World.
Appendix 1: Review of Basic Chemistry.
Appendix 2: Units of Measure: Some Useful Conversions.
Appendix 3: Units of Measure: Some Useful Conversions.
Appendix 4: Abbreviations, Formulas, and Acronyms Used in This Text.
Text, Table, and Line Art Credits.