Essential Cosmic Perspective / Edition 4by Jeffrey O. Bennett
Pub. Date: 01/28/2008
Built from the ground up on our new understanding of the universe, this reader-friendly book focuses on central ideas and unifying themes to provide a concise cosmic context. Scientific concepts are linked to everyday experience to help readers develop an appreciation for the scientific method and to see how physics and astronomy are foundations for understanding their world. Recent discoveries spark readers' curiosity in the universe as a whole. Updates include discoveries such as the accelerating universe/cosmological constant, the detection of more planets around other stars, the potential of water flow on Mars, and the latest theories on the very early universe. For college instructors and students, or anyone interested in astronomy and physics.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 9.50(w) x 10.70(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion.
6. Telescopes and Spacecraft.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
8. The Terrestrial Worlds.
9. Jovian Planet Systems.
10. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
11. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. STELLAR ALCHEMY.
14. Star Stuff.
15. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
V. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
17. A Universe of Galaxies.
18. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe.
19. The Beginning of Time.
20. Interstellar Travel and the Search for Extraterrestrial Civilizations.
Appendix A: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix B: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix C: Planetary Data.
Appendix D: Stellar Data.
Appendix E: Constants.
Appendix F: Key Equations.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >