Essential Surgery: Problems, Diagnosis and Management With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access / Edition 5by Clive R. G. Quick, Joanna B Reed, Simon J.F. Harper, Kourosh Saeb-Parsy, Philip J. Deakin
Pub. Date: 09/25/2013
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Essential Surgery is a comprehensive and highly illustrated textbook suitable for both clinical medical students as well junior surgical trainees, preparing for postgraduate qualifications in surgery such as the MRCS. Covering general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics, vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, cardiothoracic surgery and urology, it incorporates appropriate
Essential Surgery is a comprehensive and highly illustrated textbook suitable for both clinical medical students as well junior surgical trainees, preparing for postgraduate qualifications in surgery such as the MRCS. Covering general surgery, trauma, orthopaedics, vascular surgery, paediatric surgery, cardiothoracic surgery and urology, it incorporates appropriate levels of basic science throughout. The book is ideal for modern clinical courses as well as being a practical manual for readers at more advanced levels. Its main aim is to stimulate the reader to a greater enjoyment and understanding of the practice of surgery.
- Essential Surgery incorporates a problem-solving approach wherever possible, emphasising how diagnoses are made and why particular treatments are used.
- The pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases is discussed in relation to their management, acting as a bridge between basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- The uniformity of the writing style and the clarity of elucidation will encourage continued reading, while the emphasis on the principles of surgery will enable a real understanding of the subject matter.
- The book’s extensive use of original illustrations, boxes and tables emphasises important concepts and will aid revision.
- The principles of operative surgery and perioperative care are explained together with outlines of common operations, enabling students and trainee surgeons to properly understand procedures and to participate intelligently in the operating department.
- A major revision of the text has taken full account of the progressive evolution of surgery and includes new concepts that have advanced medical understanding.
- New topics have been added to ensure the book’s contents match the curriculum of the UK Intercollegiate MRCS examination, including patient safety, surgical ethics, communication, consent, clinical audit and principles of research.
- The broad experience of surgical teaching and training of two new authors has brought a fresh perspective on the book’s contents and its presentation.
- New consensus guidelines for managing common disorders have been incorporated where appropriate.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.50(w) x 10.80(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
PRINCIPLES OF SURGICAL CARE
Mechanisms of surgical disease and surgery in practice
Managing physiological change in the surgical patient
Immunology, inflammation and infection
Shock and resuscitation
Imaging and interventional techniques in surgery
Screening for adult disease
Diagnosis and management of common postoperative problems
Principles of operative surgery
Complications of surgery
Principles of cancer management
Principles of transplantation surgery
PRINCIPLES OF ACCIDENT SURGERY
Head and maxillofacial injuries
Soft tissue injuries and burns
SYMPTOMS, DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT
Non-acute abdominal pain and other abdominal symptoms and signs
The acute abdomen and acute gastrointestinal haemorrhage
Gallstone diseases and related disorders
Peptic ulceration and related disorders
Disorders of the oesophagus
Tumours of the stomach and small intestine
Tumours of the pancreas and hepatobiliary system
Colorectal polyps and carcinoma
Chronic inflammatory disorders of the bowel
Disorders of large bowel motility, structure and perfusion.
Anal and perianal disorders
Hernias and other groin problems
Disorders of the male genitalia
Symptoms and signs and investigation of urinary tract disorders
Disorders of the prostate
Tumours of the kidney and urinary tract
Stone disease of the urinary tract
Urinary tract infections
Congenital disorders and diseases secondarily involving the urinary tract
Pathophysiology, clinical features and diagnosis of vascular disease affecting the limbs
Managing lower limb arterial insufficiency, the diabetic foot and major amputations
Aneurysms and other peripheral arterial diseases
Venous disorders of the lower limb
Disorders of the breast
Disorders of the skin
Lumps in the head and neck and salivary calculi
Disorders of the mouth
Disorders of the thyroid and parathyroid glands
Acute surgical problems in children
Non-acute abdominal and urological problems in children
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >