Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapyby Ellen Hillegass, H. Steven Sadowsky
Based on best practices prescribed in The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy, 3rd Edition provides comprehensive coverage of anatomy and physiology, assessment, and aspects of the cardiopulmonary systems, with a focus on their interaction. The disablement model is used in describing the eight/b>/i>
Based on best practices prescribed in The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice, Essentials of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy, 3rd Edition provides comprehensive coverage of anatomy and physiology, assessment, and aspects of the cardiopulmonary systems, with a focus on their interaction. The disablement model is used in describing the eight cardiopulmonary practice patterns. Expert author Ellen Hillegass also discusses pathophysiology, pharmacology, and interventions in the outpatient setting. Incorporating Guide language, her practical approach progresses logically from basic sciences through intervention, and emphasizes lifespan considerations.
- Material follows The Guide to Physical Therapist Practice 2nd Edition, reflecting best practices as defined by the American Physical Therapy Association.
- Evidence-based content is based on the latest research in the field.
- Case studies show the application of concepts with real-world examples.
- Pharmacology chapters reflect both the rehabilitation background of physical therapists and the pharmaceutical expertise of a pharmacist.
- A focus on wellness follows the disablement model.
- Information on geriatric and pediatric cardiopulmonary physical therapy is easy to apply to patient situations.
- Testing for both cardiac and pulmonary dysfunction is conveniently located in a single chapter.
- Cardiovascular medication information covers the latest drugs used in cardiopulmonary physical therapy.
- Information on thoracic organ transplantation simplifies and explains these complex procedures.
- NEW chapters cover the lymphatic system and pediatrics.
- Revised chapters on cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology differentiate between information that is need to know and that is nice to know.
- An Evolve companion website includes medical animations to illustrate concepts, along with a glossary, glossary exercises, and reference lists from the book linked to MEDLINE abstracts.
Description: This comprehensive book covers the many facets of cardiopulmonary physical therapy. The previous edition was published in 1994.
Purpose: According to the editors and contributors, the purpose is to provide the physical therapist with the essential knowledge required for practice in cardiopulmonary physical therapy.
Audience: The audience is physical therapists and student physical therapists. It is an excellent resource for those in all areas of clinical practice including pediatrics. Both editors and contributors are highly respected and recognized in the field of physical therapy, especially in the cardiopulmonary PT section. There are 17 contributing authors specializing in cardiopulmonary PT.
Features: This book has 20 chapters grouped into six sections covering anatomy and physiology; pathophysiology; diagnostic tests; surgical interventions, monitoring and support; pharmacology; and cardiopulmonary assessment and interventions. The final chapter provides a comparison of outcome measures, reimbursement issues, and documentation. Case studies throughout the book provide examples of immediate application of each chapter's information. There is a glossary at the end of the book for those needing to review definitions of cardiopulmonary terms. I recommend that the third edition incorporate information on wellness and the Healthy People 2010 or 2020 report.
Assessment: This is a valuable book for the physical therapy student and experienced clinician. Unlike other books, it provides the reader with valuable information on most areas of practice including outcome measures, documentation, and reimbursement. This book provides a comprehensive overview of cardiopulmonary physical therapy and covers more information than the 1994 edition. It is a valuable resource that will be appreciated by many readers.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 24 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >