- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Irving, TX
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This popular, well-respected text presents essential information on nutrition principles, nutrition throughout the life cycle, and an introduction to clinical nutrition. It is best known for its personal application approach and presentation of nutrition principles from basic science to application in practice. Updated with accurate, up-to-the-minute references, this eighth edition provides a condensed, comprehensive format perfect for use in nursing, dietetics, and other allied health programs. As an added value, each text contains the NUTRITRAC Nutrition Analysis CD-ROM (Version III).
• A logical development of content moves from the underlying concepts of nutrition to applications in clinical practice.
• A personal applied approach to nutrition needs and problems is reflected in the writing style and the practical applications included in each chapter.
• A preview and basic outline at the beginning of each chapter establish a focus for the reader.
• Practical Application boxes provide information and examples of real-life use of the chapter material.
• To Probe Further boxes extend the discussion of chapter content to issues of interest to readers.
• Definition boxes found throughout each chapter define key terms and are placed near relevant text discussion to ensure comprehension.
• Case Study boxes are included in most chapters to promote discussion and analysis of real-life situations.
• To Sum Up sections summarize and condense important chapter content for review.
• Questions for Review offer opportunities for readers to check their understanding of the chapter content.
• Further Reading, presented at the end of each chapter, offers suggestions for follow-up reading.
• Issues and Answers end each chapter with an in-depth examination of a relevant issue, question, or controversy.
• Extensive appendixes provide a variety of reference tools, including the new CDC growth charts, cultural dietary patterns, Exchange Lists for Meal Planning, assessment of nutritional status percentiles, dietary fiber in selected plant foods, caffeine content of common beverages and drugs, fatty acid content of common vegetable oils, and other nutrition-related information.
• The latest CDC growth charts are provided in the appendixes.
• The chapters on diabetes mellitus, HIV/AIDS, cancer, renal disease, and enteral and parenteral nutrition have been thoroughly updated.
• The latest Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) are incorporated.
• A new coauthor and eight new contributors inject a fresh approach and clinically-relevant updates.
• Web sites of interest are supplied in several chapters throughout the text, providing further resources for readers to explore.
This book contains no illustrations.
PART 1: Introduction to Human Nutrition
1. Nutrition and Health
2. Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
6. Energy Balance and Weight Management
8. Minerals and Water Balance
PART 2: Community Nutrition: The Life Cycle
9. The Food Environment and Food Habits
10. Family Nutrition Counseling: Food Needs and Costs
11. Nutrition During Pregnancy and Lactation
12. Nutrition for Growth and Development
13. Nutrition for Adults: Early, Middle, and Later Years
14. Nutrition, Physical Fitness, and Stress
PART 3: Introduction to Clinical Nutrition
15. Nutritional Assessment and Therapy in Patient Care
16. Drug-Nutrient Interactions
17. Feeding Methods: Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
18. Gastrointestinal Diseases
19. Diseases of the Heart, Blood Vessels, and Lungs
20. Diabetes Mellitus
21. Renal Disease
22. Nutritional Care of Surgery Patients
23. Nutrition and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
24. Nutrition and Cancer
25. Nutrition Therapy in Chronic Disabling Conditions and Rehabilitation