Essentials of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card): A Communication Approach to Evidence-Based Care / Edition 2by Elizabeth M. Varcarolis, Margaret Jordan Halter
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; This focused approach to psychiatric mental health provides you with an uncomplicated way to understand the often-intimidating subject of psychiatric nursing. Inside you’ll find two themes of psychiatric mental health nursing: the “How” of Communication and the “Why” of Evidence. You will also… See more details below
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; This focused approach to psychiatric mental health provides you with an uncomplicated way to understand the often-intimidating subject of psychiatric nursing. Inside you’ll find two themes of psychiatric mental health nursing: the “How” of Communication and the “Why” of Evidence. You will also find easy-to-understand explanations of the research that applies to psychiatric nursing issues and how to incorporate this evidence into everyday care.
- Emphasizes evidence-based practice related to nursing interventions and the profound impact of research on the advancement of treatment options for individuals with psychiatric disorders.
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes ask a realistic question and then explore the research on the topic to demonstrate how best evidence can be used in everyday practice.
- Highlights therapeutic communication as a core component of mental health nursing and the foundation for successful nurse-patient relationships.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art communication tables walk through nurse-patient interactions to illustrate therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication and provide explanations of mental health nursing concepts.
- Numerous vignettes offer real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Potential Nursing Diagnoses tables give possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs symptoms.
- Nursing Interventions tables list interventions for a given disorder or clinical situation, along with rationales for each intervention.
- Pharmacological, Biological, and Integrative Therapies sections of the clinical chapters cover the range of available treatments for a given disorder, including both traditional and non-traditional treatments.
- Key Points to Remember, Critical Thinking questions, and Chapter Review questions help you understand, apply, and remember important information.
- A companion CD, included with the text and Student Resources on Evolve, reinforce concepts with a variety of engaging learning tools.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.90(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.40(d)
Table of ContentsUnit I - Essential Theoretical Concepts for Practice
1. Practicing the Science and Art of Psychiatric Nursing
2. Mental Health and Mental Illness
3. Theories and Therapies
4. Biological Basis for Understanding Psychopharmacology
Unit II - Tools for Practice of the Art
5. Nursing Process: The Foundation for Safe and Effective Care
6. Communication Skills: Medium for All Nursing Practice
7. Therapeutic Relationships and the Clinical Interview
Unit III - Caring for Patients with Psychobiological Disorders
8. Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders
9. Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders
10. Personality Disorders
11. Eating Disorders
12. Mood Disorders: Depression
13. Mood Disorders: Mania
14. The Schizophrenias
15. Cognitive Disorders
16. Addictive Disorders
Unit IV - Communicating with and Planning Care for Patients Experiencing Psychiatric Emergencies
17. Crisis and Disaster
18. Child, Partner, and Elder Abuse
19. Sexual Assault
20. Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
21. Anger and Aggression
22. Grief and Loss
Unit V - Communicating with and Planning Care for Patients with Discrete Needs
23. Children and Adolescents
25. Older Adults
Unit VI - Caring for Patients within the Context of the Mental Health Care System
26. Legal and Ethical Basis for Practice
27. Settings for Psychiatric Care
A. DSM-IV-TR Classification
B. NANDA-International-Approved Nursing Diagnoses
C. Answers to Chapter Review Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >