- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
From Newton's apple to Fleming's mold, from the structure of carbon molecules to the structure of DNA, Eureka! tells the true stories behind some of the most memorable and revolutionary discoveries in the history of science, and the dedicated, often unconventional scientists who made them.
You'll meet Philo Farnsworth, who, as a 14-year-old boy, got the idea for the TV screen while plowing the fields of his family's Idaho farm; Benoit Mandelbrot, who discovered a hidden order of nature in the "trash cans of science," and Charles Townes, who invented an amazing device that no one needed-at the time. Eureka! brings you these and other amazing stories, including:
* Joseph Priestley and the discovery of oxygen
* Albert Einstein and the theory of gravity
* Charles Darwin and the theory of evolution
* Dmitri Mendeleyev and the periodic table
* Alfred Wegener and the theory of continental drift
1. A Breath of Immoral Air: Joseph Priestley and the Discovery of Oxygen.
2. Epiphany at Clapham Road: Fredrich Kekule and the Discovery of the Structure of Carbon Compounds.
3. A Visionary from Siberia: Dmitry Mendeleyev and the Invention of the Periodic Table.
4. The Birth of Amazing Discoveries: Isaac Newton and the Theory of Gravity.
5. The Happiest Thought: Albert Einstein and the Theory of Gravity.
6. The Forgotten Inventor: Philo Farnsworth and the Development of Television.
7. A Faint Shadow of its Former Self: Alexander Fleming and the Discovery of Penicillin.
8. A Flash of Light in Franklin Park: Charles Townes and the Invention of the Laser.
9. The Pioneer of Pangaea: Alfred Wegener and the Theory of Continental Drift.
10. Solving the Mystery of Mysteries: Charles Darwin and the Origin of Species.
11. Unraveling the Secret of Life: James Watson and Francis Crick and the Descovery of the Double Helix.
12. Broken Teacups and Infinite Coastlines: Benoit Mendelbrot and the Invention of Fractal Geometry.