Evaluating Faculty Performance: A Practical Guide to Assessing Teaching, Research, and Service / Edition 1by Peter Seldin
Pub. Date: 05/28/2006
This book contains a wealth of material on current evaluation practices and realistic suggestions for upgrading methods and procedures. Seldin and his associates cover every aspect of the evaluation of teaching, research, and service—from gaining genuine faculty support to collecting and assessing various kinds of data—revealing what works and what does… See more details below
This book contains a wealth of material on current evaluation practices and realistic suggestions for upgrading methods and procedures. Seldin and his associates cover every aspect of the evaluation of teaching, research, and service—from gaining genuine faculty support to collecting and assessing various kinds of data—revealing what works and what does not.
Offering numerous suggestions for improving evaluation methods, assessing program weaknesses, and avoiding common problems, this book discusses how to:
- Evaluate teaching, research, and service
- Tailor common practices to meet particular needs
- Guard against bias in evaluation
- Use classroom visits, student evaluation, and self-evaluation
- Determine the best combination of evaluation methods
- Gain genuine faculty and administrative support
- Avoid weaknesses of student, colleague, and self-evaluation
- Get the most accurate picture of faculty effectiveness
- Develop a professional portfolio
Included are field-tested forms and checklists that can be used to measure faculty performance in teaching, research, and service. The suggestions for improving faculty evaluation are practical and clear—sensible advice for strengthening a process that is of increasing importance in higher education.
Table of Contents
About the Author.
About the Contributors
1. Building a Successful Evaluation Program (Peter Seldin).
2. Essential Operating Principles and Key Guidelines (Peter Seldin).
3. Building a Climate For Faculty evaluation That Improves Teaching (Mary Lou HJiggerson).
4. Uses and Abuses of Student Ratings (William Pallett).
5. Institutional Service (Clement A. Seldin).
6. Peer Observations as a Catalyst for Faculty Development (Barbara J. Millis).
7. Self-Evaluation: Composing an Academic Life Narrative (Thomas V. McGovern).
8. Teaching Portfolios (Monica A. Devanas).
9. Evaluating Faculty Research (Teck-Kah Lim).
10. Teaching Evaluation Follies: Misperception and Misbehavior in Student Evaluations of Teachers (Jane S. Halonen, Geroge B. Ellenberg).
11. Using Evaluation Data to Improve Teaching effectiveness (Todd Zakrajsek).
12. Using Evaluation Data for Personnel Decisions (David Fite).
13. The Professional Portfolio: Expanding the Value of Portfolio Development (John Zubizarreta).
14. Summary and Recommendations for Evaluating Faculty Performance (J. Elizabeth Miller).
Appendix: Selected Forms to Evaluate Teaching, Advising, Research, and Service.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >