Evaluating Faculty Performance: A Practical Guide to Assessing Teaching, Research, and Service / Edition 1by Peter Seldin
Pub. Date: 05/28/2006
Written by experts in teaching and administration, this guide offers practical, research-based information for faculty members and administrators in search of new approaches for assessing and improving faculty potential. By recognizing that faculty evaluation can be a difficult, time-consuming, and costly process, the authors of Evaluating Faculty Performance
Written by experts in teaching and administration, this guide offers practical, research-based information for faculty members and administrators in search of new approaches for assessing and improving faculty potential. By recognizing that faculty evaluation can be a difficult, time-consuming, and costly process, the authors of Evaluating Faculty Performance have distilled existing evaluation practices into useful recommendations for strengthening the overall system.
Offering numerous suggestions for improving evaluation methods, assessing program weaknesses, and avoiding common problems, the book
- Examines compelling reasons for developing effective and systematic faculty assessment processes
- Discusses how to create a climate for positive change by favoring performance counseling over performance evaluation
- Identifies the essential elements and best practices in assessment, while also revealing what not to do in evaluating performance
- Explains the value of the professional portfolio in assessment teaching, and offers advice on how to complete a portfolio
- Outlines key issues, dangers, and benchmarks for success in straightforward language
Included are field-tested forms and checklists that can be used to measure faculty performance in teaching, research, and service. The suggestions for improving faculty assessment are clear and practicable—sensible advice for strengthening a process that is of increasing importance in higher education.
Table of Contents
About the Author.
About the Contributors
1. Building a Successful Evaluation Program (Peter Seldin).
2. Essential Operating Principles and Key Guidelines (Peter Seldin).
3. Building a Climate For Faculty evaluation That Improves Teaching (Mary Lou HJiggerson).
4. Uses and Abuses of Student Ratings (William Pallett).
5. Institutional Service (Clement A. Seldin).
6. Peer Observations as a Catalyst for Faculty Development (Barbara J. Millis).
7. Self-Evaluation: Composing an Academic Life Narrative (Thomas V. McGovern).
8. Teaching Portfolios (Monica A. Devanas).
9. Evaluating Faculty Research (Teck-Kah Lim).
10. Teaching Evaluation Follies: Misperception and Misbehavior in Student Evaluations of Teachers (Jane S. Halonen, Geroge B. Ellenberg).
11. Using Evaluation Data to Improve Teaching effectiveness (Todd Zakrajsek).
12. Using Evaluation Data for Personnel Decisions (David Fite).
13. The Professional Portfolio: Expanding the Value of Portfolio Development (John Zubizarreta).
14. Summary and Recommendations for Evaluating Faculty Performance (J. Elizabeth Miller).
Appendix: Selected Forms to Evaluate Teaching, Advising, Research, and Service.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >