Everyday theology is the reflective and practical task of living each day as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. In other words, theology is not just for Sundays, and it's not just for professional theologians. Everyday Theology teaches all Christians how to get the theological lay of the land. It enables them to become more conscious of the culture they inhabit every day so that they can understand how it affects them and how they can affect it. If theology is the ministry of the Word to the world, everyday theologians need to know something about that world, and Everyday Theology shows them how to understand their culture make an impact on it. Engaging and full of fresh young voices, this book is the first in the new Cultural Exegesis series.
Kevin J. Vanhoozer (PhD, University of Cambridge) is research professor of systematic theology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He is the author or editor of many books, including the award-winning Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible.
Charles A. Anderson is a PhD candidate at the University of Cambridge.
Michael J. Sleasman (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is managing director of the Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity at Trinity International University.
A Reader's Guide: How to Use This Book
Part 1: Introduction: Toward a Theory of Cultural Interpretation
1. What Is Everyday Theology? How and Why Christians Should Read Culture
Part 2: Reading Cultural Texts
2. The Gospel according to Safeway: The Checkout Line and the Good Life
3. Despair and Redemption: A Theological Account of Eminem
4. The High Price of Unity: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
5. Between City and Steeple: Looking at Megachurch Architecture 6. Swords, Sandals, and Saviors: Visions of Hope in Ridley Scott's Gladiator
Part 3: Interpreting Cultural Trends
7. The Business of Busyness: Or, What Should We Make of Martha? 8. Welcome to the Blogosphere
9. Human 2.0: Transhumanism as a Cultural Trend
10. Fantasy Funerals and Other Designer Ways of Going Out in Style
Part 4: Concluding Untheoretical Postscript
11. Putting It into Practice: Weddings for Everyday Theologians
Glossary of Methodological Terms