Evidence-Based Physical Diagnosis: Expert Consult - Online and Print / Edition 3by Steven McGee
Evidence-Based Physical Diagnosis helps you choose the diagnostic approaches that have been proven most effective! Dr. Steven McGee puts the most current evidence at your fingertips, equipping you to easily select the best test for diagnosing a given condition and understand the diagnostic significance and accuracy of your findings. A remarkably easy-to-reference… See more details below
- Checkmark Study Aids for the Nursing and Health Professions – Save up to 30% Shop Now
Evidence-Based Physical Diagnosis helps you choose the diagnostic approaches that have been proven most effective! Dr. Steven McGee puts the most current evidence at your fingertips, equipping you to easily select the best test for diagnosing a given condition and understand the diagnostic significance and accuracy of your findings. A remarkably easy-to-reference organization makes it simple to find the answers you need; and full-text online access at www.expertconsult.com lets you quickly reference the book from any computer or mobile device.
- Quickly review the history, pathogenesis, examination technique, and interpretation of physical findings for all areas of the body thanks to a very reader-friendly outline format, including more than 90 "EBM boxes" and accompanying "EBM ruler" illustrations.
- Get expert advice from Dr. Steven McGee, an internationally respected authority in physical examination and assessment, pain management, and education in general internal medicine.
- See exactly which studies document the significance of various findings thanks to thousands of up-to-date references.
- Access the complete contents online at www.expertconsult.com, plus a downloadable image collection and an evidence-based calculator that helps you determine probability ratios based on the evidence criteria.
- Apply the latest knowledge on hot topics such as the value of physical examination in taking care of the ICU patient, accurately diagnosing the etiology of systolic murmurs, diagnosing osteoarthritis and acute vertigo in the dizzy patient, diagnosing hemorrhagic stroke, and diagnosing pleural effusions.
- Implement the most current evidence-based approaches for evaluating stance and gait, Schamroth’s sign (for clubbing), dementia, prediction of falls, hepatopulmonary syndrome, atrial fibrillation, relative bradycardia, tourniquet test (for dengue infections), acute stroke, and pleural effusion.
- Assess the pretest probability of disease, given particular signs or symptoms, with new at-a-glance tables.
- Make effective decisions thanks to updated content throughout, including new EBM boxes covering over 250 recent studies on physical diagnosis-ensuring that all diagnostic information (i.e., sensitivity, specificity, and likelihood ratios) is up to date.
Increase diagnostic confidence with McGee!
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.30(w) x 12.20(h) x 4.30(d)
Table of Contents
PART 1 INTRODUCTION 1 What Is Evidence-Based Physical Diagnosis?
PART 2 UNDERSTANDING THE EVIDENCE 2 Diagnostic Accuracy of Physical Findings 3 Using the Tables in This Book 4 Reliability of Physical Findings
PART 3 GENERAL APPEARANCE OF THE PATIENT 5 Mental Status Examination 6 Stance and Gait 7 Jaundice 8 Cyanosis 9 Anemia 10 Hypovolemia 11 Protein-Energy Malnutrition and Weight Loss 12 Obesity 13 Cushing Syndrome
PART 4 VITAL SIGNS 14 Pulse Rate and Contour 15 Abnormalities of Pulse Rhythm 16 Blood Pressure 17 Temperature 18 Respiratory Rate and Abnormal Breathing Patterns 19 Pulse Oximetry
PART 5 HEAD AND NECK 20 The Pupils 21 Diabetic Retinopathy 22 Hearing 23 Thyroid and Its Disorders 24 Meninges 25 Peripheral Lymphadenopathy
PART 6 THE LUNGS 26 Inspection of the Chest 27 Palpation and Percussion of the Chest 28 Auscultation of the Lungs 29 Ancillary Tests
PART 7 SELECTED PULMONARY DISORDERS 30 Pneumonia 31 Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease 32 Pulmonary Embolism 33 Pleural Effusion PART 8 THE HEART 34 Inspection of the Neck Veins 35 Percussion of the Heart 36 Palpation of the Heart 37 Auscultation of the Heart: General Principles 38 The First and Second Heart Sounds 39 The Third and Fourth Heart Sounds 40 Miscellaneous Heart Sounds 41 Heart Murmurs: General Principles
PART 9 SELECTED CARDIAC DISORDERS 42 Aortic Stenosis 43 Aortic Regurgitation 44 Miscellaneous Heart Murmurs 45 Disorders of the Pericardium 46 Congestive Heart Failure 47 Coronary Artery Disease PART 10 ABDOMEN 48 Inspection of the Abdomen 49 Palpation and Percussion of the Abdomen 50 Abdominal Pain and Tenderness 51 Auscultation of the Abdomen
PART 11 EXTREMITIES 52 Peripheral Vascular Disease 53 The Diabetic Foot 54 Edema and Deep Vein Thrombosis 55 Examination of the Musculoskeletal System
PART 12 NEUROLOGIC EXAMINATION 56 Visual Field Testing 57 Nerves of the Eye Muscles (III, IV, and VI): Approach to Diplopia 58 Miscellaneous Cranial Nerves 59 Examination of the Motor System: Approach to Weakness 60 Examination of the Sensory System 61 Examination of the Reflexes 62 Disorders of the Nerve Roots, Plexuses, and Peripheral Nerves 63 Coordination and Cerebellar Testing
PART 13 SELECTED NEUROLOGIC DISORDERS 64 Tremor and Parkinson Disease 65 Hemorrhagic versus Ischemic Stroke 66 Acute Vertigo and Imbalance 67 Examination of Nonorganic Neurologic Disorders
PART 14 EXAMINATION IN THE INTENSIVE CARE UNIT 68 Examination of Patients in the Intensive Care Unit
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >