- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: Omaha, NE
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
This introductory textbook on the theory and practice of massage is evidence-based and fully referenced to both American and British research. Heavily illustrated, readable, and user-friendly, it covers a variety of techniques including acupressure, reflexology, and aromatherapy to help readers make informed choices about the treatment of each client.
• Content is readable, practical, and relevant.
• Massage content is integrated within each section, and information applies directly to the practice of massage.
• Discussions include both theory and practice with detailed descriptions of techniques.
• A unique blend of the scientific basis for orthodox and healing energy theories is provided.
• A new format and reorganization of content provides more logical structure to the text.
• 42 new photographs, 30 new line drawings, and the use of a second color throughout create a more visual approach to text content.
• The chapters on Reflex Effects, Pathological Principles, and Massage in sport have been expanded.
• Sections on Pain, Women's health, Maintaining health/health management, Essential oils and Aromatherapy, Neurospasticity have either been added or expanded.
• New material covers the latest American and British research for a more evidence-based approach.
Covers the scientific basis, theraputic & reflex effects, palpation, application for edema, techniques, etc.
Section 1: The Theoretical Basis
1. Massage in context
2. A biological basis
3. Therapeutic and reflex effects
4. Pathological principles
Section 2: Practical Application of Massage
6. Assessment and treatment planning
7. Massage techniques
8. Regional application of classical massage techniques
9. Specialised techniques
Section 3: Clinical Uses of Massage
10. Sedative massage
11. Massage for people with long-term and terminal illness
12. Neuromusculoskeletal disorders
13. Massage in sport
14. Client groups