Exploring the Digital Library: A Guide for Online Teaching and Learning / Edition 1by Kay Johnson, Elaine Magusin
Pub. Date: 07/08/2005
Exploring the Digital Library, a volume in The Jossey-Bass Online Teaching and Learning series, addresses the key issue of library services for faculty and their students in the online learning environment. Written by librarians at Athabasca University, a leading institution in distance education, this book shows how faculty can effectively use/i>/i>
Exploring the Digital Library, a volume in The Jossey-Bass Online Teaching and Learning series, addresses the key issue of library services for faculty and their students in the online learning environment. Written by librarians at Athabasca University, a leading institution in distance education, this book shows how faculty can effectively use digital libraries in their day-to-day work and in the design of electronic courses. Exploring the Digital Library is filled with information, ideas, and
- Discusses how information and communication technologies are transforming scholarship communication
- Provides suggestions for integrating digital libraries into teaching and course development
- Describes approaches to promoting information literacy skills and integrating these skills across the curriculum
- Outlines the skills and knowledge required in digital library use
- Suggests opportunities for faculty and librarians to collaborate in the online educational environment
- Publication date:
- Jossey-Bass Guides to Online Teaching and Learning Series, #3
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.03(w) x 9.51(h) x 0.47(d)
Table of Contents
About the Authors.
1. Digital Libraries: A Cultural Understanding.
Digital Libraries in the Matrix of Digital Culture.
Defining Digital Libraries.
Transforming the Academic Library.
Digital Library Culture.
2. New Dynamics for Scholarly Communication.
Many-to-Many Relationships in the Digital Library.
New Opportunities for Scholarly Communication.
Sharing in the Online Community.
Academic Culture Meets Digital Culture.
3. Digital Libraries in Teaching and Course Development.
The Digital Library and Teaching in Distance Education.
Challenges in Supporting Students at a Distance.
4. Beyond the Mechanics of Online Retrieval: Information Literacy.
What Is Information Literacy?
Library Literacy and Beyond.
The Necessity of Evaluation.
Integrating Information Literacy.
Development of Skills.
Integrating Information Literacy into the Curriculum.
5. Using the Digital Library in Higher Education.
Understanding Online Systems.
Using Digital Information in Higher Education.
6. Faculty-Librarian Collaboration in Online Teaching and Education.
Teaching and Instruction.
Marketing the Library and Its Services.
The Importance of Organizational Climate.
7. Collaborating on Information Literacy: Case Study 1.
The Digital Reference Centre.
INFS 200: Accessing Information.
8. Collaborating on the DRR and Reusing Learning Resources: Case Study 2.
The Digital Reading Room.
Beyond Course Reserves: Reusable Digital Resources.
9. Beyond Digital Library Culture Barriers.
Humans and Computers Interacting.
Easier-to-Use Digital Libraries.
Appendix: Web Resources.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >