- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This book provides the first comprehensive account of the social and cultural aspects of modernity over the past two centuries.
Part I: The Modern Self.
1. The Theatrical Self: social drama and personal identity.
2. Subjects and Citizens: the politics of everyday life.
3. Street People: the city as experience, dream and nightmare.
4. The Consolations of Consumerism.
5.'We Are Born Naked - Everything Else is Drag': clothing the body, fashioning the self.
6. The Seduction of Romance: fictions of love, narratives of selfhood.
Part II: The Modern Age.
7. Sacred, Secular, Sublime: modernity performs the death of God.
8. Machines and Skyscrapers: technology as experience, hope and fear.
9. From Enlightenment to Holocaust: modernity and the end of morality.
10. Modernism, Art and Culture.
11. The Image, the Spectral, and the Spectacle: technologies of the visual.
12. Postmodern Times?.
Guide to Further Reading.