F# Deep Dives presents a collection of real-world F# techniques, each written by expert practitioners. Each chapter presents a new use case where you'll read how the author used F# to solve a complex problem more effectively than would have been possible using a traditional approach. You'll not only see how a specific solution works in a specific domain, you'll also learn how F# developers approach problems, what concepts they use to solve them, and how they integrate F# into existing systems and environments.
Purchase of the print book includes a free eBook in PDF, Kindle, and ePub formats from Manning Publications.
About the Technology
F# is an elegant, cross-platform, functional-first programming language. With F#, developers create consistent and predictable programs that are easier to test and reuse, simpler to parallelize, and less prone to bugs. The language, its tooling, and the functional programming style have proven effective in many application areas like secure financial engines, machine learning algorithms, scientific calculations, collaborative web applications, games, and more.
About the Book
F# Deep Dives is a selection of real-world F# techniques written by expert practitioners. Each chapter presents an important use case where you'll solve a real programming challenge effectively using F# and the functional-first approach. Not only will you see how a specific solution works in a specific domain, but you'll also learn how functional programmers think about problems, how they solve them, and how they integrate F# into existing systems and environments.
Readers should have at least an introductory knowledge of the F# language.
- Numerical computing
- Data visualization
- Business logic
- Domain-specific languages
- Practical solutions to real problems
- Information-rich programming, including LINQ and F# type providers
- Covers F# 3.1 and VS 2013
About the Authors
Tomas Petricek contributed to the development of the F# language at Microsoft Research. Phil Trelford is an early adopter of F# and one of its most vocal advocates. They are joined by F# experts Chris Ballard, Keith Battocchi, Colin Bull, Chao-Jen Chen, Yan Cui, Johann Deneux, Kit Eason, Evelina Gabasova, Dmitry Morozov, and Don Syme.
Table of Contents
- Succeeding with functional-first languages in the industryPART 1 INTRODUCTION
- Calculating cumulative binomial distributions
- Parsing text-based languagesPART 2 DEVELOPING ANALYTICAL COMPONENTS
- Numerical computing in the financial domain
- Understanding social networks
- Integrating stock data into the F# languagePART 3 DEVELOPING COMPLETE SYSTEMS
- Developing rich user interfaces using the MVC pattern
- Asynchronous and agent-based programming
- Creating games using XNA
- Building social web applicationsPART 4 F# IN THE LARGER CONTEXT
- F# in the enterprise
- Software quality