Finding definitions for fashion is easier than ever. The Fairchild Dictionary of Fashion, 3rd Edition, defines more than 15,000 fashion terms, including apparel, accessories, and their components; historical and textile terms that relate to contemporary fashion; and the language of the fashion business. Its organization of 51 broad categories, such as activewear, blouses and tops, clothing, construction details, footwear, headwear, jewelry, laces, necklines, shirts, skirts, and waistlines, promotes comprehension of related terms. Categories are fully cross-referenced to the alphabetical listing. Includes terms not readily found in ordinary dictionaries and pronunciation guides for foreign words. An appendix of designers includes emerging leaders. Lavish illustrations by Bina Abling enhance definitions, capturing both the details and style of fashion. Labeled "anatomical" drawings show how the parts of fashion items fit together. Alphabetical page tabs add to the ease of use. This dictionary is the ideal reference for designers, fashion media, instructors, students, historians, and fashion enthusiasts.
Phyllis G. Tortora is Professor Emerita at Queens College, where she was department chair for 17 years, teaching historic costume and furbanishings and textiles. Among the textbooks of which she is the author or co-author are Survey of Historic Costume and Fairchilds Dictionary of Textiles, 7th edition. She also serves as a consultant to the Historic Costume Collection of the Huntington Historical Society in Huntington, New York.
Bina Abling teaches in the Fashion Design departments of FIT and Parsons School of Design in New York City. She is the author of Fashion Sketchbook, 4th Edition, Advanced Fashion Sketchbook, Model Drawing, and Marker Rendering for Fashion, Accessories and Interior Design. Bina's knowledge and experience comes from 10 years in the fashion industry and 15 years of teaching.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
* Revised categories for easier access to terms
* Completely new illustrations, including 'anatomy' drawings which label parts of apparel and accessory items
* New appendix of designers, updated to include emerging leaders
* Pronunciation guide for foreign words and other terms
* Symbols to call attention to textile terminology, historic terms and names of fashion designers
* Terms related to merchandising and retailing, formerly in an appendix, now integrated into the text
* New appendix of references
* New design with alphabetical tabbing guide to help users find terms more quickly