I. UNDERSTANDING EMPOWERMENT.
2. Schools as Systems: The Context for Family-Professional Collaboration.
4. Building Reliable Alliances.
II. UNDERSTANDING FAMILIES.
6. Family Interaction.
7. Family Functions.
8. Family Life Cycle.
III. COLLABORATING FOR EMPOWERMENT.
10. Meeting Families' Basic Needs.
11. Referring and Evaluating for Special Education.
12. Individualizing for Appropriate Education.
13. Extending Learning into Home and Community.
14. Attending and Volunteering at School.
15. Advocating for Systems Improvement.
Appendix A. Names and Addresses.
Appendix B. Conversation Guide.