Family Communication: Cohesion and Change / Edition 5by Kathleen M. Galvin, Bernard J. Brommel
Pub. Date: 07/29/1999
Family Communication examines the communication processes within families and how they affect and are affected by larger social systems. By viewing the family as a communication system with identifiable patterns, this text encourages students to analyze family interaction patterns analytically and thoroughly. Using a framework of family functions, first-person/i>… See more details below
Family Communication examines the communication processes within families and how they affect and are affected by larger social systems. By viewing the family as a communication system with identifiable patterns, this text encourages students to analyze family interaction patterns analytically and thoroughly. Using a framework of family functions, first-person narratives, and current research, Family Communication emphasizes the diversity of today's families in terms of structure, ethnic patterns, and developmental experiences.
New to the 6th Edition:
- Reflects increasingly diverse family experiences while maintaining a strong focus on patterns and systems of the traditional family.
- Incorporates information on "alternative" families throughout the text, eliminating the perception that there is a "right" type of family.
- Includes a new chapter on "Power, Influence, and Decision Making," which discusses new research on influence strategies in families and provides students with the latest information on a growing area of the field.
- Adds new information on religion, economics, jealousy, abuse, and multigenerational families to provide students with more thorough coverage of different family structures and to address the "dark side" of family communication, thereby addressing the most common issues and current trends in the field today.
- Expands discussion of relational maintenance in keeping with the current literature in the field (Ch. 6).
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.33(w) x 9.11(h) x 0.85(d)
Table of Contents
|Ch. 1||Introduction to the Family||1|
|Ch. 2||Framework for Family Communication||22|
|Ch. 3||Family Theories||52|
|Ch. 4||Communication Patterns and the Creation of Family Meanings||75|
|Ch. 5||Symbolic Meanings and Relational Maintenance: Family Rituals, Currencies, and Stories||106|
|Ch. 6||Intimacy and Closeness within Families||135|
|Ch. 7||Communication and Family Roles and Types||168|
|Ch. 8||Power, Influence, and Decision Making||197|
|Ch. 9||Communication and Family Conflict||230|
|Ch. 10||Communication and Family Stress: Developmental Issues||269|
|Ch. 11||Family Communication and Unpredictable Stress||310|
|Ch. 12||Contextual Dimensions of Family Communication||343|
|Ch. 13||Improving Family Communication||366|
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >