Feeding and Care of the Horse / Edition 2by Lon D. Lewis, Anthony Knight, Bart Lewis, Corey Lewis
Feeding and Care of the Horse, 2nd Edition is an essential reference for anyone training, treating, breeding or owning horses. Dr. Lewis, a widely recognized veterinary researcher, teacher, and consultant on equine nutrition and care, has condensed his highly-acclaimed textbook – Equine Clinical Nutrition, Feeding and Care – into this/i>/b>… See more details below
Feeding and Care of the Horse, 2nd Edition is an essential reference for anyone training, treating, breeding or owning horses. Dr. Lewis, a widely recognized veterinary researcher, teacher, and consultant on equine nutrition and care, has condensed his highly-acclaimed textbook – Equine Clinical Nutrition, Feeding and Care – into this indispensable guide to all aspects of horse care. You’ll find:
- Characteristics, pros, cons and use of feeds and supplements
- Maximizing pasture benefits
- Money-saving advice on nutrition, care and management
- Strategies for the prevention and treatment of diseases
- Vital information on growth, reproduction, old age and care during weather extremes and for athletic or show performance
- Unique, full-color coverage of 79 poisonous plants
- New data on developmental bone diseases
- Practical guide for housing, bedding, fencing, and record keeping
- Specific management for behavior, foot, teeth, hair coat and parasite problems
- Over 100 descriptive tables and illustrations
- An extensive glossary
In this one handy volume, Dr. Lewis provides everything you need to know about quality, cost-effective horse management and care.
- Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.55(w) x 11.00(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of ContentsSection I: Nutrition and Feeds for Horses.
Water, Energy, Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats for Horses.
Minerals for Horses.
Vitamins for Horses.
Harvested Feeds for Horses.
Pasture for Horses.
Diet Evaluation, Formulation, and Preparation for Horses.
Minimizing Horse Feeding Costs.
Section II: Feeding and Care of Horses.
General Horse Feeding Practices.
Feeding Idle and Working Horses.
Feeding and Care of Horses for Athletic Performance.
Breeding Stallion Feeding and Care.
Broodmare Feeding and Care.
Mare and Foal Care at Foaling.
Growing Horse Feeding and Care.
Developmental Orthopedic Diseases in Horses.
Feeding and Care of Horse By: Anthony P. Knight, BVSc, MS, MRCVS, Dipl ACVIM.
Feed-Related Poisonings of Horses.
Behavioral Problems in Horses.
Appendix Tables: Equine Nutritional Requirement Tables.
Table 1. Dietary Energy, Protein, Calcium, and Phosphorus Recommended in Horse’s Diet and Amount of Feed Consumed.
Table 2. Mineral Concentrations Recommended in Horse’s Diet Compared to that in Feeds.
Table 3. Vitamin Concentrations Recommended in Horse’s Diet Compared to that in Feeds.
Table 4. Daily Energy, Protein, Calcium, Phosphorus and Vitamin A Recommended for Horses.
Table 5. Energy Needs for Physical Activity.
Table 6. Nutrient Content of Horse Feeds.
Table 7. Mineral Supplements Composition.
Table 8. Feeds – Weight/Unit Volume.
Table 9. Conversion Factors.
Table 10. Symbols, Weight, and Valences of Common Elements.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >