The Fifteen Minute Hour: Practical Therapeutic Interventions in Primary Care / Edition 3by Marian R. Stuart, Joseph A. Lieberman
Pub. Date: 05/08/2002
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
A practical, realistic 'how to" manual for effectively incorporating psycho-behavioral interventions into the brief office visit. A contemporary classic, this text combines the best in medicine and psychology to help practitioners treat the emotional components of ordinary medical disorders. The BATHE (Background, Affect, Trouble, Handling, and Empathy) technique,… See more details below
A practical, realistic 'how to" manual for effectively incorporating psycho-behavioral interventions into the brief office visit. A contemporary classic, this text combines the best in medicine and psychology to help practitioners treat the emotional components of ordinary medical disorders. The BATHE (Background, Affect, Trouble, Handling, and Empathy) technique, a screen for treatable psychiatric conditions as well as a therapeutic modality, fits easily into a regular patient visit. Case scenarios demonstrate how to use simple questions to elicit information while empowering the patient. Subjects covered include managing stress, handling difficult patients, increasing compliance and promoting both physical and mental health. Amply referenced and evidence based, this new edition provides coverage on the use of narrative therapy, cognitive restructuring, talking with adolescents, collaborative treatment, PTSD, and managing anxiety and depression by combining therapeutic talk with psychotropic medications.
• A standard in the field for training primary care practitioners in the principles of biopsychosocial medicine.
• Practical information is offered for the application of therapeutic interventions.
• An easy-to-use approach is designed to fit into a standard, fifteen minute office visit.
• The highly-respected authors bring with them over 60 years of combined experience.
• Listed on the "best sellers list" of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine since its introduction in 1986.
• All chapters have been updated with new references and new case material.
• A brand-new chapter on the use of psychotropic medication includes material on herbal products.
• Important material has been added on treating anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
• New charts specify doses and side effects for a range of antidepressants.
• New material has been added on the use of narrative therapy, a variety of stress management techniques, cognitive restructuring, talking with adolescents, collaborative treatment, empowering patients, focusing on lifestyle changes, and maximizing the potential for achievement.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.24(w) x 9.40(h) x 0.36(d)
Table of Contents
1. The New Medical Model for the 21st Century: Focusing on the Totality of the Body Mind
2. How Patients React to Stress
3. The Psychotherapeutic Qualifications of the Primary Care Practitioner
4. Principles and Strategies for Therapeutic Interventions
5. Differences in Approach Between Primary Care Practitioners and Psychiatrists
6. Structuring the Therapeutic Intervention
7. Rationale and Techniques for 15 Minute Therapy
8. Agenda for the 15 Minute Counseling Session
9. Role of Pharmacotherapy
10. Therapeutic Interventions for Difficult Patient Situations
11. Practical Therapeutic Interventions for Special Situations, Staff and Practitioner
12. Anticipated Outcomes: Transcending Limitations
Appendix A: A Dozen Good Questions and Three Good Answers for All Seasons
Appendix B: Recommended Books for Patients
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >