The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher / Edition 4by Harry K. Wong, Rosemary T. Wong
The best-selling book ever on classroom management and teaching for student achievement with over 3.6 million copies sold. The book walks a teacher, either novice or veteran, through structuring and organizing a classroom for success that can be applied at any time of the year at any grade level, pre-K through college.The book is used in thousands of school… See more details below
The best-selling book ever on classroom management and teaching for student achievement with over 3.6 million copies sold. The book walks a teacher, either novice or veteran, through structuring and organizing a classroom for success that can be applied at any time of the year at any grade level, pre-K through college.The book is used in thousands of school districts, in over 116 countries, and in over 2,027 college classrooms. Its practical, yet inspiring. But most important, it works The new 4th edition includes updated research, photos, and more examples of "how-to" along with an implementation DVD, "Using The First Days of School" featuring Chelonnda Seroyer.This is the most requested book for what works in the classroom for teacher and student success.
- Wong, Harry K. Publications
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.02(w) x 10.00(h) x 0.69(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of ContentsUnit A - Basic Understandings __The Teacher
The successful teacher must know and practice the three characteristics of an effective teacher.
1. Why You Need to Succeed on the First Days of School
2. What Is an Effective Teacher?
3. How You Can Be a Happy First-Year Teacher
4. How to Close the Student Achievement Gap
5. Why You Should Use Proven, Research-Based Practices
Unit B - First Characteristic __Positive Expectations
The effective teacher has positive expectations for student success.
6. Why Positive Expectations Are Important
7. How to Help All Students Succeed
8. How to Dress for Success
9. How to Invite Students to Learn
10. How to Increase Positive Student Behavior
Unit C - Second Characteristic __Classroom Management
The effective teacher is an extremely good classroom manager.
11. How to Have a Well-Managed Classroom
12. How to Have Your Classroom Ready
13. How to Introduce Yourself to Your Class
14. How to Arrange and Assign Seating
15. How to Start a Class Effectively
16. When and How to Take Roll
17. How to Maintain an Effective Grade Record System
18. How to Have an Effective Discipline Plan
19. How to Teach Students to Follow Classroom Procedures
20. How Procedures Improve the Opportunity to Learn
Unit D - Third Characteristic __Lesson Mastery
The successful teacher knows how to design lessons to help students achieve.
21. How to Create an Effective Assignment
22. How to Test for Student Learning
23. How to Assess for Student Learning
24. How to Enhance Student Learning
UnitE - Future Understandings __The Professional
The teacher who constantly learns and grows becomes a professional educator.
25. How to Develop a Culture of Effective Teachers
Epilogue How to Develop a Culture of Effective Teachers
Back of Book "Using THE FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL"
The DVD features Chelonnda Seroyer as she walks you through how she implements The First Days of School in her classroom.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >