- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
From the Publisher"I would recommend this book as a reference text for fish scientists and for other icthyological enthusiasts."
-Lydia A. Brown, in THE VETERINARY JOURNAL
Ships from: Geneva, IL
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
* Book presents concepts in biomechanics, a rapidly expanding area of research
* First volume in over twenty years on this subject
* Multi-author volume with contributions by leaders in the field
* Clear explanations of basic biomechanical principles used in fish research
* Well illustrated with summary figures and explanatory color diagrams
The first in two decades to exclusively integrate physiological and biomechanical studies of fish locomotion, feeding and breathing, making this book both comprehensive and unique. This book reviews and integrates recent developments in research on fish biomechanics, with particular emphasis on experimental results derived from the application of innovative new technologies to this area of research, such as high-speed video, sonomicrometry and digital imaging of flow fields. The collective chapters, written by leaders in the field, provides a multidisciplinary view and synthesis of the latest information on feeding mechanics, breathing mechanics, sensory systems, stability and maueverability, skeletal systems, muscle structure and performance, and hydrodynamics of steady and burst swimming, including riverine passage of migratory species.