- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
In a thought-provoking and entertaining exploration of The Five Biggest Ideas in Science, authors Charles Wynn and Arthur Wiggins provide a panoramic view of the questions scientists seek to answer about the natural world:
* Do basic building blocks of matter exist, and if so, what do they look like?
* BIG IDEA #1: Physics' Model of the Atom
* What relationships, if any, exist among different kinds of atoms?
* BIG IDEA #2: Chemistry's Periodic Law
* Where did the atoms of the universe come from,and what is their destiny?
* BIG IDEA #3: Astronomy's Big Bang Theory
* How is the matter of the universe arranged in planet Earth?
* BIG IDEA #4: Geology's Plate Tectonics Model
* How did life on planet Earth originate and develop?
* BIG IDEA #5: Biology's Theory of Evolution
Get set for a lively and informative discussion, as you also learn how to evaluate potential applications of these and other scientific ideas.
Presents five basic scientific hypotheses: the atomic model, the periodic law, the big bang theory, plate tectonics, and evolution.
BIG IDEA #1 Physics' Model of the Atom: Seeing the Unseeable.
BIG IDEA #2 Chemistry's Periodic Law: Sorting the Elements.
BIG IDEA #3 Astronomy's Big Bang Theory: Tracing the Elements' Roots.
BIG IDEA #4 Geology's Plate Tectonics Model: Down to Earth.
BIG IDEA #5 Biology's Theory of Evolution: Life Begins and Branches Out.
The Method of Science: Further Insights.
Benefit/Risk Analysis: Potential Applications of Scientific Knowledge.