Read an Excerpt
Passing the Florida Biology 1 EOC Test
About This Book
This book, along with REA’s true-to-format practice tests, provides you with the most up-to-date preparation for the Florida Biology 1 End-of-Course Assessment. Known simply as the Biology 1 EOC, this computer-based test measures your mastery of biology.
This test prep gives you all the review and practice you need to succeed on exam day. By studying the review and taking our practice tests (either in the book or online), you can pinpoint what you already know and focus on the areas where you need to spend more time studying.
Each of our eight review chapters covers one of the major Biology 1 EOC subject areas and shows you how each area will be tested. Easy-to-follow examples and a step-by-step approach help you build your knowledge and confidence as you study.
Our two full-length practice tests give you the most complete picture of your strengths and weaknesses. After you’ve finished reviewing with the book, take our practice exams online at the REA Study Center (www.rea.com/studycenter). Because the Biology EOC is computer-based, we recommend that you take the practice tests online to simulate test-day conditions. Each online test gives you instant score reports, diagnostic feedback, and on-screen detailed answer explanations.
If you’re studying and don’t have Internet access, you can take the printed tests in the book. These are the same tests offered at the REA Study Center, but without the added benefits of timed testing conditions and diagnostic score reports.
About the Test
The Florida EOC Assessments are part of Florida’s Next Generation Strategic Plan, which is designed to increase student achievement and improve college and career readiness. EOC assessments are computer-based, criterion-referenced assessments that measure specific standards that have been developed for several courses, including Algebra I, Biology I, Geometry, and U.S. History.
How is this test given?
For the majority of students, the EOC assessments are computer-based. Exceptions are made for students with disabilities who need to take EOC assessments on paper.
What is the format of the test?
The Biology 1 EOC assessment is administered via a computer-based test (CBT) platform. Paper-based versions (print and Braille) will be provided for students with disabilities who require allowable accommodations, as specified in their Individual Educational Plans (IEPs) or Section 504 plans.
The Biology 1 EOC assessment is scheduled for a 160-minute session. However, any student not finished by the end of this period may continue working. Testing must be finished on the same school day.
There are multiple forms of the assessment, with a maximum of 66 items on each test form. About six to 10 of the items are experimental (field test) items, and are NOT included in student scores.
You will be provided with the following:
• A four-function calculator in the online TestNav platform
If students take a practice test and decide they are not comfortable using the online calculator for testing, they may request the use of a hand-held FCAT four-function calculator.
• A Periodic Table of the Elements in the online TestNav platform
If schools prefer, they may distribute hard copies of the periodic table to students.
• A four-page, hard-copy work folder to use as scratch paper
Who takes this test?
All students enrolled in and completing the following courses take the Biology I EOC:
• Biology 1
• Biology 1 Honors
• Pre-AICE Biology
• Biology Technology
• Biology 1 preIB
• IB Middle Years Program Biology Honors
• Integrated Science 3
• Integrated Science 3 Honors
Preparing for Computerized Testing Official Practice Test
Prior to taking the Biology 1 EOC Assessment, students are required to participate in a practice-test session at their school in order to become familiar with the testing tools and platform. These are computer-based practice tests, called Electronic Practice Assessment Tools (ePATs). The online computerized practice tests included with this book will give you a valuable head start.
E-Tools for Exam Day
The tools and resources available to you on test day will vary slightly depending on the subject area assessed. All students taking a computer-based assessment will have access to the following e-tools in the computer-based platform:
• Review: Students use this e-tool to mark questions to be reviewed at a later time.
Before exiting the assessment and submitting their responses, students are taken to a screen that identifies questions that are answered, unanswered, and marked for review.
• Eliminate Choice: Students use this tool to mark answer choices that they wish to eliminate.
• Highlighter: Students use this tool to highlight sections of the question or passage.
• Eraser: Students use the eraser to remove marks made by the highlighter or the eliminate-choice tool.
• Help: Students may click the Help icon to learn more about the e-tools. The Help text appears in a separate window.
• Calculator: Students are provided access to a scientific calculator, which appears in a pop-up window. They may request the use of a hand-held scientific calculator if they are uncomfortable with the online version.
• Exhibit: Students are provided a reference sheet of commonly used formulas and conversions to work the test questions. The reference sheet appears in a pop-up window under the exhibit icon.
• Directions: Students are also provided directions for completing fill-in response questions and a diagram and helpful hints for the appropriate calculator under the exhibit icon.