Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Physiology: A Problem-Based Approach / Edition 4by Mitchell L. Halperin, Marc B. Goldstein, Kamel S. Kamel
Pub. Date: 04/02/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
The revised and updated fourth edition of Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Physiology continues to offer expert advice on the bedside management of acid-base and electrolyte disorders. Distinguished authors synthesize key theoretical and clinical information in a way that is easy to understand and apply. Discussions on the latest science, as well as new cases, new discoveries, and new approaches in intensive care are just a few of the updates you’ll find to help you make the best management decisions. Clinical information is presented in an easy-to-understand style, and the integration of color offers increased visual guidance. What’s more, diagnostic flow charts and critical questions challenge your problem-solving skills and reinforce your decision-making expertise.
- Incorporates relevant information on energy metabolism and endocrine, gastrointestinal, respiratory, and cardiovascular physiology.
- Features a consistent, user-friendly format with diagnostic algorithms and helpful margin notes.
- Includes numerous case studies that illustrate how key management principles are applied in practice.
- Presents questions and explanations throughout that let you test your knowledge and hone your skills.
- Features entirely new cases with discussions that keep you on the cusp of current clinical dilemmas and standards of practice.
- Discusses new treatment options to help you provide optimal care.
- Presents new discoveries to bring you up to date on the latest findings in science and clinical practice.
- Offers new approaches in critical care keeping you current in this emerging area of nephrology.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.20(w) x 10.10(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
List of Cases xv
List of Flow Charts xvii
Section 1 Acid-Base
1 Principles of Acid-Base Physiology 3
2 Tools to Use to Diagnose Acid-Base Disorders 39
3 Metabolic Acidosis: Clinical Approach 60
4 Metabolic Acidosis due to a Deficit of NasHCO3 75
5 Ketoacidosis 111
6 Metabolic Acidosis: Acid Gain Types 160
7 Metabolic Alkalosis 193
8 Respiratory Acid-Base Disturbances 222
Section 2 Salt and Water
9 Sodium and Water Physiology 245
10 Hyponatremia 314
11 Hypernatremia 368
12 Polyuria 403
Section 3 Potassium
13 Potassium Physiology 425
14 Hypokalemia 460
15 Hyperkalemia 512
Section 4 Integrative Physiology
16 Hyperglycemia 543
Suggested Readings 575
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >