Folk And Fairy Tales Every Child Should Knowby Hamilton Wright Mabie
In those early days before magazines or newspapers or books the most learned men were ignorant of things which intelligent children know to-day. Only a very few men and women could read or write; and all kinds of beliefs about animals, birds, witches, fairies, giants, and the magical qualities of herbs and stones flourished like weeds in a neglected garden. There came into existence an immense mass of misinformation about all manner of things; some of it very stupid, much of it very poetic and interesting. Below the region of exact knowledge accessible to men of education, lay a region of popular fancies, ideas, proverbs, and superstitions in which the great mass of men and women lived, and which was a kind of invisible playground for children. Much of the popular belief about animals and the world was touched with imagination and was full of suggestions, illustrations, and pictorial figures which the poets were quick to use.
• * "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" contains a collection of twenty-four famous fairy tales from a wide array of classical works (Grimm's Fairy Tales, 1001 Arabian Nights, Hans Christian Andersen, and others), which most parents have told to their children throughout time. These tales are immortal and include: "The Enchanted Stag;" "Puss in Boots;" "Jack and the Beanstalk;" "The Princess on the Pea;" "The Ugly Duckling;" "Beauty and the Beast;" "Hansel and Gretel;" "Jack the Giant Killer;" "The Second Voyage of Sinbad the Sailor;" "The Story of Aladdin, or the Wonderful Lamp," and many more. delightful tales.
• * "Folk Tales Every Child Should Know" similarly pulls from the rich traditions of countries all over the world to deliver twenty classic stories such as: "Why the Sea is Salt;" "The Dragon and the Prince;" "The Story of Tom Tim Tot;" and "The Good Children."
• * "Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know" and "Folk Tales Every Child Should Know" were originally published in 1905 and 1912, respectively. This volume faithfully reproduces the stories in those editions, with minor edits to correct some words to a more modern spelling (i.e, changing traveller to traveler).
• * Check our other Children's, Juvenile, and Adult books at www.FlyingChipmunkPublishing.com, or Friend us on Facebook for our latest releases.
- Wilder Publications
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.79(d)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews