- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Ships from: acton, MA
Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, this comprehensive text includes in-depth discussions of fundamental concepts and skills, plus medical-surgical content to help you provide safe and effective care in the fast-paced healthcare environment. Easy-to-read content, an enhanced focus on preparing for the NCLEX® Examination, and a wealth of tips and study tools make Foundations and Adult Health Nursing, 6th Edition, your must-have text!
• All-in-one reference includes fundamentals, skills, maternity, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, community, anatomy and physiology, and medical-surgical content – everything you need in one convenient text.
• Companion CD includes animations and audio clips depicting physiologic processes, physical assessment video clips, an English/Spanish glossary with definitions and audio pronunciations, an anatomy coloring book, and a fluid and electrolytes tutorial.
• The consistent, logical framework of the nursing process connects specific disorders to patient care.
• The Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology chapter and an overview of A&P at the beginning of all body systems chapters provide a clear, basic understanding of A&P that LPN/LVNs need to know.
• A mathematics review chapter provides a complete review of basic arithmetic skills and practice in drug dosage calculation to ensure safe medication administration.
• Safety Alert boxes help you implement The Joint Commission’s safety guidelines in all settings, with considerations for special populations.
• Nursing Diagnosis boxes, screened and highlighted in the text, include nursing diagnoses for specific disorders paired with the appropriate nursing interventions.
• Over 100 skills in a step-by-step format with full-color illustrations present clearly defined nursing actions and rationales for skills and techniques you’ll use in practice.
• Medication tables are meticulously detailed and provide quick access to action, dosage, precautions, and nursing considerations for commonly used drugs.
• Nursing Care Plans, presented in a case-study format, emphasize patient goals and outcomes and end with Critical Thinking Questions to develop your clinical decision-making skills.
• Coordinated Care boxes emphasize parameters for prioritizing tasks, as well as assigning tasks to and supervising unlicensed assistive personnel.
• An emphasis on communication features real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue and illustrates practical guidelines for effective communication.
• Patient Teaching boxes and Family Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
• Life Span Considerations for Older Adults boxes provide age-specific information for the care of the aging population, which is often the primary focus of the LPN/LVN nurse.
• Home Care Considerations boxes discuss the issues facing patients and caregivers in the home health care setting.
• Health Promotion Considerations boxes provide key information on staying healthy and preventing disease, with tips on wellness from Healthy People 2010.
• Cultural Considerations boxes discuss how to address the health needs of a culturally diverse patient population when planning care.
• Complementary and Alternative Therapy boxes includes disorder-specific therapies, precautions, and possible side effects of non-traditional treatments.
• Enhanced focus on the NCLEX Examination offers end-of-chapter Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections with key points for self-guided study and remediation and an extensive set of review questions for thorough self-assessment. Additional review questions on Evolve provide instant feedback with correct answer and rationale for even more test-taking practice.
• Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize the latest research findings and highlight how they apply to LPN/LVN practice.
• Updated, vibrant full-color design highlights key information and enhances your understanding of important concepts.
Unit I Basic Nursing Concepts
1 The Evolution of Nursing 1
2 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing 22
3 Communication 36
4 Vital Signs 56
5 Physical Assessment 93
6 Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 121
7 Documentation 138
8 Cultural and Ethnic Considerations 158
9 Life Span Development 180
10 Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death 218
Unit II Basic Nursing Skills
11 Admission, Transfer, and Discharge 248
12 Medical-Surgical Asepsis and Infection Prevention and Control 266
13 Surgical Wound Care 310
14 Safety 343
15 Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility 369
16 Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 394
17 Complementary and Alternative Therapies 416
18 Hygiene and Care of the Patient's Environment 434
19 Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Examination 475
20 Selected Nursing Skills 523
Unit III Basic Nursing Interventions
21 Basic Nutrition and Nutrition Therapy 604
22 Fluids and Electrolytes 660
23 Mathematics Review and Medication Administration 681
24 Emergency First Aid Nursing 737
Unit IV Maternal and Neonatal Nursing
25 Health Promotion and Pregnancy 768
26 Labor and Delivery 804
27 Care of the Mother and Newborn 841
28 Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs 882
Unit V Pediatric Nursing
29 Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent 926
30 Basic Pediatric Nursing Care 941
31 Care of the Child with a Physical Disorder 983
32 Care of the Child with a Mental or Cognitive Disorder 1067
Unit VI Gerontologic Nursing
33 Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult 1082
Unit VII Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
34 Basic Concepts of Mental Health 1122
35 Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder 1135
36 Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality 1158
Unit VIII Community Health Nursing
37 Home Health Nursing 1177
38 Long-Term Care 1193
39 Rehabilitation Nursing 1206
40 Hospice Care 1222
Unit IX Adult Health Nursing
41 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 1237
42 Care of the Surgical Patient 1253
43 Care of the Patient with an Integumentary Disorder 1295
44 Care of the Patient with a Musculoskeletal Disorder 1345
45 Care of the Patient with a Gastrointestinal Disorder 1411
46 Care of the Patient with a Gallbladder, Liver, Biliary Tract, or Exocrine Pancreatic Disorder 1467
47 Care of the Patient with a Blood or Lymphatic Disorder 1498
48 Care of the Patient with a Cardiovascular or a Peripheral Vascular Disorder 1539
49 Care of the Patient with a Respiratory Disorder 1609
50 Care of the Patient with a Urinary Disorder 1670
51 Care of the Patient with an Endocrine Disorder 1720
52 Care of the Patient with a Reproductive Disorder 1769
53 Care of the Patient with a Visual or Auditory Disorder 1837
54 Care of the Patient with a Neurologic Disorder 1886
55 Care of the Patient with an Immune Disorder 1955
56 Care of the Patient with HIV/AIDS 1970
57 Care of the Patient with Cancer 2014
Unit X From Graduate to Professional
58 Professional Roles and Leadership 2045
A Common Abbreviations 2076
B The Joint Commission's Lists of Dangerous Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Symbols 2078
C Laboratory Reference Values 2079
D Answers to Review Questions for the NCLEX® Examination 2088
References and Suggested Readings 1
Illustration Credits 1
Posted April 9, 2011
I bought this book on a Wednesday to get it no later than Saturday. Paid extra for shipping. The book was not shipped until the 9th, accordingly, it has not arrived yet. I have no tracking number, nothing...Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.