Foundations for Learning / Edition 1by Laurie L. Hazard, Jean-Paul Nadeau, Jean-Paul Nadeau
Foundations for Learning allows first-year college students to take charge of their own learning and claim their education. Through a combined focus on academic adjustment and personal development issues, this text emphasizes how one’s attitude influences the execution of newly learned strategies and skills. The only one of its kind, this/b>/b>/i>… See more details below
Foundations for Learning allows first-year college students to take charge of their own learning and claim their education. Through a combined focus on academic adjustment and personal development issues, this text emphasizes how one’s attitude influences the execution of newly learned strategies and skills. The only one of its kind, this text contains the Study Habits Inventory to measure college-level study behaviors, and the Trice Academic Locus of Control scales to assess the attitudinal variables that influence learning.
With recent research indicating that most first-year students are more challenged than past generations in making the transition to college, Hazard and Nadeau encourage students to pursue scholarship. From the first chapter, which deals with becoming part of a scholarly community, to the challenging vocabulary used in each chapter, to the theoretical references used to underpin major concepts, Foundations for Learning focuses heavily on academics while also examining emotional and social adjustment issues.
- Theoretical Justifications — offered for major topics, providing academic substance for each chapter via a psycho-educational perspective.
- Student Narratives — portray realistic stories of first-year students and their struggles with such issues as student-faculty relations, reading comprehension, and participating in class discussion.
- Make it Personal Questions — aim to get students to apply concepts to their own unique situations.
- Current trends--addressed technology’s impact on the college transition (re: Myspace and Facebook).
- Conversational tone and active style - directed to students without “talking down” to them - offers advice in a straightforward and lucid way.
- New Diversity chapter - delivered through a unique lens (a discourse approach as opposed to a didactic one).
Additional Support — in and out of the classroom…
Visit the Student Success Supersite (www.prenhall.com/success), where students and faculty will find an array of resources. In addition, instructors will be pleased to know that Foundations For Learning offers an Instructor’s Manual and PowerPoint slides.
Start strong. Finish stronger.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.26(w) x 9.16(h) x 0.31(d)
Table of Contents1. Claiming Your Education
The Professor and Student Contract
Active vs. Passive Learning
Plagiarism and Intellectual Property
Claiming an Education
2. Developing Academic Self-Concept
Relating to Your Family and Culture: How Your Academic Self-Concept Has Been Developing Up to Now
Relating to Your New Peers
Relating in Cyberspace
Relating to Your New Environment
3. Reconceiving Diversity
Diversity in College
The Difficulty of Defining Diversity
4. Planning and Prioritizing
Time Management and Academic Goal Setting
Time Management and College Success
Self-Regulating Your Own Learning
How to Manage Your Time
Motivation and Procrastination
5. Developing Metacognitive Skills.
Why Should I Change?
Student Attitudes Toward Learning
Approaches to Learning
6. Developing Communication Skills
Writing Products Versus the Writing Process
Using Feedback to Best Advantage
Participating in Class Discussion
Writing the Research Paper
Making In-Class Presentations
7. Reading and Note Taking for Optimal Performance in Lectures and on Exams
The Components of Test Preparation
Benefits of Employing These Approaches to Studying
Approaches to Test Taking
Self-Evaluation of Preparedness for Tests and Exams
8. Taking Responsibility in College and Life
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >